glass bottle to plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
Say you wanted to bring some of your bottled homebrew to a function that only allowed cans or plastic...how would the beer be if you transferred some beer from glass to a plastic water bottle or something alike.

I'm thinking it would be ok for at least a few hours...

How long would it last? Still be carbonated?

I would guess it to be fine if you're going to consume it that day and you transfer carefully. I mean, when you get a growler at a brewpub, they're typically fine (and carbonated) for a couple of days.

I would just be opening a bottle and dumping it or funneling it into the plastic bottle...maybe i'll do a test first haha.

I keg, so I usually just grab some cheap 1 liter bottles of soda water.. dump the water, fill with beer. Works great.

My dad always bottled beer, and he would bottle up a couple 1 and 2 liter bottles of ever batch. This way, he would have beer to take to places like this. Obviously, it takes forward thinking.. If you already have beer in a bottle and want to take it with you, then your only real option would be to pour it into plastic bottles before leaving the house. Should be fine if drank later that day. After that, it might be kind of flat.

Back