How many are brewing extra hoppy beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I've had a few extra hoppy beers lately, an Arcadia Hop Rocket, a few IPAs that were really strong. I can't say that I enjoy it after drinking more than a few sips of them, more like I tolerate it. That Arcadia beer by itself could explain the hop shortage!

Anyway, how many people brew batches of hoppy beer like that? I can't imagine that I'd want to drink this very often, and it would be a waste of my brewing resources, mostly my time, to make them. Just curious.

zacster said:
I've had a few extra hoppy beers lately, an Arcadia Hop Rocket, a few IPAs that were really strong. I can't say that I enjoy it after drinking more than a few sips of them, more like I tolerate it. That Arcadia beer by itself could explain the hop shortage!

Anyway, how many people brew batches of hoppy beer like that? I can't imagine that I'd want to drink this very often, and it would be a waste of my brewing resources, mostly my time, to make them. Just curious.

did you get any of darkhorse's Double Crooked Tree IPA? before it was sold out?

Look up IPA, Imperial IPA, Double IPA etc.... There are a few souls on here that like nothing more than concentrated hop juice:D

zacster said:
Can't say that I have, nor have I heard of it.

You said you got Arcadia which is made here and darkhorse is made just down the road from them So I just wondered if You had it. I figure it took a whole farmers field to make there IIPA.

RICLARK said:
You said you got Arcadia which is made here and darkhorse is made just down the road from them So I just wondered if You had it. I figure it took a whole farmers field to make there IIPA.

I had the Arcadia at a pub in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, the hip capitol of the universe. They had 25 to 30 brews on tap. I'll have to go back and try the rest. :drunk:

A lot of us love them. As stated above, look up IPA in the recipe database, it has more recipes than any other style.

Dude posted a Pliny Clone recipe that has about 11 ounces of hops per five gallon batch. To date, that is my all time favorite of all my brews. I LOVE hoppy beers. I'm trying to learn to appreciate other beers now that some hops are $6/ounce if you can even find them! But I am definitely a Hophead.

Someone posted about a week ago or so that they had a 5gal batch with over a POUND of hops in it, that's 16oz. Can we say hop juice?

Some folks love malty beers, some enjoy a crisp lager. I say bring on the bitter!

ilikestuff said:
Someone posted about a week ago or so that they had a 5gal batch with over a POUND of hops in it, that's 16oz. Can we say hop juice?

My Pliny clone has 25oz of hops per 10 gallons :rockin:

I prefer my beers on the hoppy side, but I also brew malt heavy beers as well. Everyone likes something different.

Just don't discount any beer style until you've had a chance to try multiple version (commercial or homebrewed) of it - you would be doing yourself a disservice.

I just made a DIPA that has 20oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch. Needless to say, it was a ***** to brew and deal with.

the only hoppy beer i really enjoy is either a steam beer or an APA that uses northern brewer hops, but the shortage has greatly limited my NB stock, unfortunately.

other than that...OMG! 11oz? 20oz?? 25oz???? don't you know we're in a hop shortage???

:p

I'd have to say it depends on the entire package. There are some beers that are very hoppy that I do not care for, but then I have a SN Bigfoot (or 2) and I love it thoroughly. Now that bigfoot is at 100+ IBU or something so I know I like the hop flavor. OTOH my last wheat beer is great, but I miss the bittering and the aroma of hops. It's not bad, and it is true to the style but I really like a little hop bite with my brew.

I think for me it really depends on the balance of ingredients...the bitterring hops help to offset the overly-sweet flavor of big beers. When they are over-used in a beer, I usually don't drink it again. There is just too much good beer out there to waste time on ones that don't please your palette!

Sometimes I like a hoppy beer and sometimes I don't. I just primed and kegged and dry hopped a five gallon batch of IPA, 9 ounces total of 9.8% Amarillo.

It is going to age on my buddy's boat for the season and then probably last me a year.

Mostly I like APAs and malty lagers, but sometimes a lip peeling IPA is just the thing. Also, the Amarillo was the tail end of my stash and starting to stale. On the one hand I will probably still have this IPA on tap when the shortage is over, on the other hand the hops were starting to go stale.

1782.jpg

I guess that question just brings out the hopheads.

Like I said, it just isn't my thing to have so much hop flavor that you can skip the malt. I probably didn't even recognize it until I made my own and was sniffing the hop pellets.

Whatever rocks your boat.

It's not the hops, its not the malt its the roast. Almost every beer needs a good chunk of black patent in it :)

Back