1st time pitching onto yeast cake!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxford brewer

Reaction score
Hello people

After reading comments on this site about pitching on a used yeast cake,i have just deciced to try the thing out for myself.
I am just mixing an extract kit together,then syphon 5 gallon that has been in the primary for 5 days,to a secondary(first time i have done this as well.Using a bottling bucket as my secondary).
After that the wort should be cool enough to then pour onto the yeast!!!

Here's hoping?:D

Good Luck, just be careful as apparently they can blast off spectacularly!!!

Had a few bubbles already,gravity reading for the beer to secondary was 1.012 from a starting gravity of 10.43(approx),so it will sit in the bucket for another week or two;) .
Forgot to take a reading on the new brew(birkby bitter) i started:eek: :eek:

yeah BIG typo:eek: :eek:

Should read 1.043....not as bad as when i posted about smearing my bunghole with vaseline:eek: :eek:

After pitching my brew about 6 hours ago,i am getting 13-14 bubbles a min.
May have to have some sterilised equipment ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is fun to watch that stuff fly around in the carboy. It's just like sea monkeys, except the beer tastes better.

I'm going to throw a batch of mead on top of my red ale yeast with the hopes of a fast ferment. I read on a mead site that if you get a good fast ferment on an ale and you pitch on top of the cake, the mead shouldn't need a yeast nutrient and will generally ferment out in 2 days. First time I've thrown a batch on top of a cake too, but it sounds like it's the way to go! Good luck!!

AHammer16 said:
It is fun to watch that stuff fly around in the carboy. It's just like sea monkeys, except the beer tastes better.

Dont have a carboy just a plastic fermenting barrel(carboy is on the birthday list 6.5g hopefully):cool: .

now at 31-32 bpm:D

No disaster so far and am now down to about 8 bubbles a minute...hope it turns out well fermented(is it worth stirring after 4-5 days to mix in the yeast again)?

When you pitch on a previous batch yeast cake you just put the wort on the hops and yeast? I don't have a hop bag yet.

AHammer16 said:

I use a plastic bucket too but I'm thinking of getting a carboy so I can watch it swirl and stuff as it ferments.:)

I'd never try'd pitching onto the yeast cake before last weekend and boy does it take off fast!
Don't do like i did and pitch your wort on at a slight higher temp than it should be to aid take off,with'in four hours i had three gallon air space filled with head,top half of air lock blown off and a mess to clean up,good job i put it on a tray!:eek:

I second that one brew chick. My mead was bubbling a half hour after pitching on top of an ale cake! By the time I went to bed it was up to a bubble every 2 sec. I thought I would wake up to....BOOM! :)

Down to a bubble a minute,so hopefully fermentation has been good.
It will have to sit in the primary for another week as i only have one bucket i can use for secondary,and that was only filled 4 days ago:cool: ..........Damn i need more equipment and storage:D :D (next lot ready will be bottled for the first camping week-end of the year,late april....just SHMBO to convince:rolleyes:)

Hoppy Brewing people!!

Brew chick said:
Well it look's like i've lost about 2 ltr of beer through that episode of EXPLODING beer, lesson learned:eek:

Yea, need lots of head space for this approach.

Latest posts

Back