Building false bottom-ish setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I came up with this idea for a MLT setup similar to using a false bottom, but I don't want to spend too much on it, hopefully nothing (SWMBO will get mad if I spend too much on brewing for the moment). So here's what I have in mind. I have two extra aluminum pots that just happen to fit inside one another perfectly. For the inside one I want to drill some holes in the bottom, like a false bottom, then put that one inside the other one and those two in a cooler while I am mashing. When the mash is done, I will lift the pots out, remove the outside one and put the inner pot back in the cooler to drain and start my continuous sparging. May not be the easiest way in the world, but it will get me the efficiency of a false bottom. Can anyone think of any problems with this design? And while we're on the topic of false bottoms, does anyone know anything about false bottom design (i.e. hole size, hole spacing, etc.)? Thanks.

-AJ

That is almost exactly how the false bottom thing started except it was with five gallon buckets.

Yes it will work.

If you can afford a valve, this would be the optimum set up in your situation. This will let you clear your runnings easier.

false_bottom2.jpg

I would only drill 9/64 or 5/32 holes to start. You can always make them bigger.

I can't believe no one mentioned it!

ZAPAP!

OK, time to explain.... This is the exact type of mash tun that Papazian described in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. So yeah, it works. I've personally never tried it, but if Papa Charlie advocates it, I'm sold.

I can't believe no one mentioned it!

ZAPAP!

OK, time to explain.... This is the exact type of mash tun that Papazian described in The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. So yeah, it works. I've personally never tried it, but if Papa Charlie advocates it, I'm sold.

Impatient did in post #2. He just didn't give Papazian's name.

Sweet, thanks for the replies. I am going start on it tomorrow afternoon. Now maybe I can get decent efficiency on my next batch. Cheers :mug:

@impatient: Actually, before I start this, those sound good for hole sizes, but what about hole spacing? Considering that I am using aluminum, I don't want to use too small a hole spacing or else it will make the bottom too weak. Will using a large hole spacing decrease my efficiency or is the important part getting uniform coverage of the grain bed? Thanks.

-AJ

Since you are (most likely) doing batch sparging, the spacing isn't as important since you will be stirring up the mash, thus thoroughly rinsing the sugars, between each sparge step.

Even with fly sparging, the spacing wouldn't be that important, just so you got it evenly spaced across the bottom.

Back