British floor malting (River Cottage)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
If anyone is curious about how traditional British floor malting is carried out, Hugh Fearnely-Whittingstall does a bit of it in this BBC River Cottage excerpt, starting about 4:00 in. You'll see why Marris Otter and other traditionally floor malted English pale malts cost so much more. It's labor intensive, to say the least.

For those not familiar, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is a British cook and TV presenter who moved to a small farm in Dorset, documenting his attempts to be as self-sufficient as possible in a series of television documentary programs. It's good TV -- one of the few things I've watched over the last several years that leaves me wanting more. I think a lot of us on HBT can relate. Go to one of the online TV sites like FactualTV, or SurftheChannel.com and type in "River Cottage" to get a feel for the ongoing series which begins with "Escape to River Cottage," progresses to "Return to River Cottage," and "River Cottage Forever" and goes on from there. In addition to brewing, Hugh also covers English cider making in a couple of episodes.

Chad

Back