First AG today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostspring

Reaction score
I did my first all grain brew today. Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale. Everything went pretty well. I used 1/2 gal of hot water to get my first strike water back up to temp and then forgot to subtract it from my second water so I ended up with 7gal instead of 6 1/2. My OG was right on target at 1.051. I tried to figure my efficiency but get lost on the ppg number. I can't figure out where Palmer gets it from.
I made a copper manifold but did not solder the joints, so I worried the whole time about it coming apart, but no problem. Maybe next time a single loop of copper wire around it will ease my worries. The wort ran clear after about a quart.
I used SA-05 instead of Nottingham. My LHBS didn't have Nottingham.
You guys were right, it is easier then it sounds.

Congrats on your first All grain brew day!

Looks as though you hit your OG pretty good even though it was over a 1/2 gallon. That's a good thing! As far as using US-05.... I wouldn't worry about it. Seems as though it's gonna turn out to be a nice American Ale. Very drinkable I'd guess. But... you never know how it's gonna ferment out. Depending on your setup that is. Especially your fermenter temps. I'd ferment around around 64-68 F. That's my opinion though!

As far as being easier than it sounds... wait till you have a hankering for wheat beer, rye beer and or a recipe that has multiple adjuncts. Only because you'll hafta find a way to "tweak" your system to that specific recipe.

Cheers! :mug:

Back