What's the formula to calculate the efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Is it total extractable sugars (ppg) divided by (measured gravity multiplied by volume in gallons)?

For instance:
OG: 1.042
Total sugars: 223
Size: 3.96 gallons ....then:

((42*3.96)/223))=74.58%

right?

Is it total extractable sugars (ppg) divided by (measured gravity multiplied by volume in gallons)?

For instance:
OG: 1.042
Total sugars: 223
Size: 3.96 gallons ....then:

((42*3.96)/223))=74.58%

right?

Looks good to me. Your wording is off but your math looks good.

It is a good one, but I am not sure it is accurate. I have calculated how much sugar I can extract from the malts using the pdf files from the provider (weyermann). I think that calculator is off by a few %.

I calculate 75% while the calculator gives me 71.32%.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture3.JPG

The calculator's not off, it just uses slightly different values for the potential for each grain. These vary slightly from maltster to maltster, as well as season to season and batch to batch. They are really just estimates.

Beersmith, for example, lists munich as 1.035ppg for BestMalz, to 1.038 for Weyermann, but it would depend on the year/batch that was purchased.

Efficiency = sugar extracted divided by maximum extractable sugar.
Sugar extracted = OG x volume
Maximum extractable sugar = Potential (ppg) for grain A x mass of grain A + Potential for grain B x Mass of grain B + etc.

It's nice to be able to do the math, but hardly necessary. The quick and easy way is just to plug your recipe into Brewer's Friend...... When you go to the fermenter, measure your OG and volume. Brewer's Friend defaults to 75%, and gives you a projected OG based on that... adjust your volume to match the real volume, then adjust efficiency until your OG matches the OG displayed........ That's your efficiency for practical purposes. That measures your mash efficiency....... unless you add sugars to your boil. If you are adding sugars, those sugars will be 100% efficient, and your mash may only be 75%, so you want to take a gravity reading pre-boil based on pre-boil volume and pre-boil gravity. If you want absolute grain to glass brewhouse efficiency you base your numbers on the volume that makes it to your glass........not fermenter volume.

The point is efficiency is different things to different people and if your object is to compare your mash efficiency from brew to brew...... do the pre-boil thing. If you want to have a "pissing match" with a fellow brewer, you need to be on the same page as far as what you are calling efficiency.

H.W.

It's nice to be able to do the math, but hardly necessary. The quick and easy way is just to plug your recipe into Brewer's Friend...... When you go to the fermenter, measure your OG and volume. Brewer's Friend defaults to 75%, and gives you a projected OG based on that... adjust your volume to match the real volume, then adjust efficiency until your OG matches the OG displayed........ That's your efficiency for practical purposes. That measures your mash efficiency....... unless you add sugars to your boil. If you are adding sugars, those sugars will be 100% efficient, and your mash may only be 75%, so you want to take a gravity reading pre-boil based on pre-boil volume and pre-boil gravity. If you want absolute grain to glass brewhouse efficiency you base your numbers on the volume that makes it to your glass........not fermenter volume.

The point is efficiency is different things to different people and if your object is to compare your mash efficiency from brew to brew...... do the pre-boil thing. If you want to have a "pissing match" with a fellow brewer, you need to be on the same page as far as what you are calling efficiency.

H.W.

The volume and gravity to fermenter is actually a measure of total efficiency rather than mash efficiency (mash efficiency is measured before trub loss; both will be the same if trub is dumped into the fermenter).

Like you say though, there's not need to calculate it. An online calculator (I use beersmith) is the easiest way and consistency from brew to brew is what you're looking for. BTW, the best efficiency I've ever had is when my scales were broken (I was using about 10% more grain than I thought).....a little bit of inaccurate measuring can make efficiency look great.

The volume and gravity to fermenter is actually a measure of total efficiency rather than mash efficiency (mash efficiency is measured before trub loss; both will be the same if trub is dumped into the fermenter).

Like you say though, there's not need to calculate it. An online calculator (I use beersmith) is the easiest way and consistency from brew to brew is what you're looking for. BTW, the best efficiency I've ever had is when my scales were broken (I was using about 10% more grain than I thought).....a little bit of inaccurate measuring can make efficiency look great.

The amount of trub at the end of the chill is pretty trivial......... I ususally have a little bit of hops trub, and that's about all. I'd love to be able to filter out the cold break material but I don't, and I suspect most brewers don't. The amount that hits the fermenter is so close to the amount in the boil kettle minus the hops that the difference is insignificant.

H.W.

Slightly off topic but since someone brought up trub volume....Because I ferment in 2 gallon buckets I have to eliminate as much trub as I can to make room for up to 1.9 g of wort. I use one of these given to me by the guy that last painted my house. I've seen these for sale online in many different degrees of filtering. It fits perfectly in a 5 or 6 gallon bucket.

[url=https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/paint-strainer-60936.html] [/URL]

Latest posts

Back