Light lager what to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koerd85

Reaction score
Making a Light Lager with hops and malt extract. What hops can I use and what types of grains give a German style? I've used all the regular stuff. Any different ideas like birchwood chips or something like that? I want to get an added flavor that goes with lager hops, is it ok to add spices to beer?

"Beechwood" chips don't add any flavor. It's for aging lagers more quickly, which is what the big brewers used to do.

I would never put spices in a light lager. The most important ingredient is your yeast. If you use a german lager yeast, it'll probably taste like a german lager.

What to add? Fermentation temperature control. ;)

It's damned difficult to brew light lager successfully. I hope you're successful! :mug:

Use a Pilsner malt extract, the freshest you can find. Order from one of the big online houses like Northern Brewer. Reserve 66 to 75% of the extract for a late addition (I add my late additions at flameout).

Use rice extract, dextrose or white sugar to lighten the body and flavor; no more than 10-15% of the fermentables. Add this late, too.

Use a classic "noble" hops variety like Saaz, Tettnang or Hallertau. Use very little flavor hops (<0.5 ounces in 5 US gallons) and no aroma hops.

Ferment with a lager strain, and pitch a lot of it. Control the temperature of the ferment carefully, keeping it within the strain's parameters. Perform a diacetyl rest. Lager at least two weeks, preferably a month.

Avoid spices. The wood chips were/are used not as a flavoring agent but to clarify the lagering beer. The beer is kept circulating over a bed of flavorless beechwood chips to raise the surface area of the lagerkeller floor, promoting sedimentation. This reduces filter losses in a commercial brewery. You don't need or want to do that.

Buy, read and get 100% buy-in to Greg Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer. That book is essential for the lager brewer.

Prost!

Bob

Thanks!! That sounds like slot of useful information! I will look into that book, Prost!

I did however have a successful brew of a light lager, I can't believe how smooth it taste and easy it is to drink. I used hallertau(.5oz) and corn sugar with a very small amount of Left over
Willameta(.07oz) and it still came out delicious...

Back