Ranco probe - (how) can it be used for wort temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm setting up a simple HERMS rig and I want to use the Ranco temp controller to kick on the heating element and pump. The question is how best to monitor the wort temp - it seems from my searching that the standard temperature probe is only intended for 'open air' monitoring (i.e. in a freezer) and not for immersion. Does anyone have a way to use the standard probe for wort temp, or a suggestion for an immersible probe?

Thanks!

I haven't confirmed this, but I heard someone mention once that the probe will fit into a dip tube from a keg. All you would need to do is seal the bottom to make it watertight. High temp silicone would probably do the trick, especially if you crimped the tube at the bottom as well.

I sell Thermowells that are SS TIG welded that are of excellent quality and craftsman ship. They can be used in all different types of stoppers, or you can add a 3/8 compression to 1/2 npt fitting and use them as a weldless version. These thermowells are of higher quality than the stopper thermowells that NB and B3 offer. These are $12.00 shipped 16" length up to 20". Ranco, Love, and Johnson digital probes fit in our thermowells.
Also selling 3/8 30" racking canes for $10.00....You can stop by HBA and check out feedback on these...
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=69799

Thermowellrs.jpg

FlyGuy said:
I haven't confirmed this, but I heard someone mention once that the probe will fit into a dip tube from a keg. All you would need to do is seal the bottom to make it watertight. High temp silicone would probably do the trick, especially if you crimped the tube at the bottom as well.

Don't crimp the tube, you will not be able to get the thermowell through the compression fitting.

I use epoxy to seal the end and it works fine.

Holy buckets Monster Mash - that's quite a rig you're running. I'm going the poor man's route by using a 10-gal round cooler for my MLT. Now I'm debating how best to feed in the thermowell:

1) Compression fitting in the (screw-on) cooler lid. Provides straight-down path for the thermowell, but i'd have to push it down into the mash & grainbed every time, which is a little inconvenient.

2) Side-entry at the top of the cooler via drilled hole, then drop down into a fixed thermowell. Allows semi-permanent mounting, ability to take lid off without mucking up the placement. Downside is drilling a hole in the side of the cooler.

Thoughts, opinions?

Back