Honey settled - Is that OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildbill001

Reaction score
Taken the plunge and started my first batch of Joe's Ancient Orange (what could go wrong, go wrong, go wrong....)

Been in the primary for about 4 days now and I noticed about a 3/4" layer of honey on the bottom of the jug. I had had it pretty well mixed or so I thought. Is this "normal" for JOAM or any other mead recipe?

TIA

Wildbill

Yeast will get to it eventually but with a mead it is a good idea to give it a good stir frequently during the first several days of fermentation.

Looked this over yesterday and decided to follow Joe's advice (since this is his recipe), i.e., don't touch it. The amount of honey on the bottom is now about 3/8" deep. So the yeasties must be doing something good.

Don't mess with it. I bottled a batch a couple months ago. I left it in the fermenter for about a month and a half and it's about 2 months in the bottle now. It's delicous already. I got 9 bottles out of my one gallon batch. I'm down to 6 now. Trying to save them but I keep wanting people to try it.

Back