Making Wine with Ale yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
Not sure if I'll need it, but I pitched a Lalvin 71B-1122 about a day and a half ago, and as of this morning there is nothing happening in the blow off tube. Last night the lid of the bucket had popped off a bit and when I pushed it down to reseal it there was a good amount of CO2 that came out via the tube, so something happened, but maybe it died fast?
So I dont' have any yeast at home except for a T-58, which does go up to my potential ABV of 9-10%, but I have never read any comments on why not to pitch wine with beer yeast. It's a peach wine, so maybe that is a better option for using a beer yeast?

So long you don't exceed the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. Personally I would adapt the wine to suit what beer yeast I currently use. I started back making cider and that's how I went about it. I'm currently using one lager and one ale strain and that's what I'm using. So far it's worked out great.

Latest posts

Back