LHBS gave me too much grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
I stopped by today to pick up ingredients for the BBS Apple Crisp and I ended up with too much grain. The total grain bill should have been about 2.2 lbs, but I've got 3.1 lbs. I'm thinking that instead of .1 lbs of crystal 60 he gave me 1 lb. My bad for not paying attention to what he was doing or what was rung up. Anyway...

The recipe calls for:

2 lbs American 2-row
.1 lb crystal 60
.05 lb aromatic
.05 lb something else I can't remember of the to of my head.

So what should I do? I was thinking just go with it and see what happens. After all, it is only a gallon. What kind of issues may arise brewing a recipe that is over by .9 lbs on the grain bill?

I put the recipe in Beersmith and got an OG of 1.071, so this is going to end up with a higher ABV by about 2%.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was extra base malt, but that's going to give you 30% crystal. May be cloyingly sweet/carmely (is carmely a word?). Although maybe that's a good thing if you're making something called apple crisp.

If I were you I'd get more 2-row and dilute it, you can make it into a few batches.

chickypad said:
It wouldn't be so bad if it was extra base malt, but that's going to give you 30% crystal. May be cloyingly sweet/carmely (is carmely a word?). Although maybe that's a good thing if you're making something called apple crisp.

If I were you I'd get more 2-row and dilute it, you can make it into a few batches.

I've got a couple of lbs of DME. If I were to add some DME to the boil would that be enough to dilute the crystal? Should I still go for 1 gallon, or would it be a good idea to bump the batch up to 1.5 G?

Well your original recipe called for 5% crystal and I wouldn't go more than 10%, which would mean something like 1 lb DME + 2/3 lb of your mix there for a 1 gallon batch. Pretty tiny mash that would be. This sounds like a spiced beer or something, what is the rest of the recipe?

Mash grain at 144-152 for one hour in 2 1/4 qts water. Mash out at 170. Sparge with one gallon of 170 degree water.

Add .3 oz Fuggle at beginning of boil with one cinnamon stick. Add .1 oz Hallertau at 1 minute and add two peeled, cubed apples at flame out and steep 20 minutes before cooling, staying, pitching, etc.

It takes about 2.25 G for me to end with one gallon so I'll increase the mash water a bit. I've read bad things about boiling herbs so I was thinking I would add the cinnamon at 5 minutes or at flameout.

Back