Bacon party! Need some feedback on a dipping sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glasfeena

Reaction score
So this coming Friday marks the Second Annual Bacon Fest, where all my friends get together, have a party, and enjoy bacon themed food. Last year, there was bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, bacon and cheese stuffed mushrooms, even bacon ice cream, as well as many other dishes.

My dish last year: I marinated slices of bacon in a honey pomegranate lime juice marinade overnight then grilled them up at the party. Everyone complimented them, saying it was the best thing on the menu.

Now this year, they asked for that dish again, but, I need to do something to make it better. I went down to the meat market to get 3 lbs of 1/4" sliced slab bacon. (I might have to take a picture of it. My eyes light up whenever I look at it.) I plan on doing the same marinade again because it was so good.

Also, I was feeling very generous, so I brewed a batch of a Hobgoblin clone for the party. I figured the malty sweetness of it would be a good pairing against the salty, savory of all that bacon.

What I need a little help on is a dipping sauce for my bacon. Last year, I just reduced the marinated down to a messy sticky paste. It was far too tart once it was reduced. Any suggestions on how to improve upon that? I would like to use my beer maybe, but unsure. I also made a Pomegranate Wheat beer earlier this summer that could go along with my pomegranate theme.

I know, I know, this all sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen, but it's one of the most fun eating experiences I've ever had.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Maybe you could add a little heat (spice, not temp) to balance out the citrus. Or obviously, cut back on the lime a bit.

BTW, Bacon Fest!? Where and when? I'm drooling already!

A dipping sauce for bacon? Why would you want such a thing?

You can dip other stuff in a bacon sauce to make it better. But, bacon is already the perfect food. It needs no sauce.

A dipping sauce for bacon? Why would you want such a thing?

You can dip other stuff in a bacon sauce to make it better. But, bacon is already the perfect food. It needs no sauce.

yeah, forget the sauce. go for the win! :mug:

bacon-10.jpg

bacon-12.jpg

Why do I need a sauce you ask? It's probably a pride thing. Everyone one at this party knows I make fantastic beers. Everyone knows my soups are to die for. I guess I like to be a cut above the rest.

Maybe you could add a little heat (spice, not temp) to balance out the citrus. Or obviously, cut back on the lime a bit.

BTW, Bacon Fest!? Where and when? I'm drooling already!

Turning up the heat is a fantastic idea! Maybe adding some chopped up chilis or something would be great.

Oh, and there is an actual Baconfest coming up. It's been rescheduled for next April due to lack of funding, but it's coming. And I plan on being first in line.

Baconfest Chicago

That desert looks awesome! Is it lunchtime? Oh yeah, it is! Sweet!

Chicken Fried Bacon with Bacon Gravy dipping sauce

Ooo! That looks good! Was the bacon still crispy after you fried it?

On a somewhat related note, I've never understood the term "chicken-fried something". Fried Chicken I get. Chicken Fried Steak....Okay, I'll go with that. Chicken Fried Chicken? WTF?

apple-bacon-pie.jpg

How about a bacon pie?

Seriously though, I really enjoy taking little smokies and wraping them in bacon. Stick a toothpick through them and arrange them on a tray. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top and bake them. They are so good.

Why do I need a sauce you ask? It's probably a pride thing. Everyone one at this party knows I make fantastic beers. Everyone knows my soups are to die for. I guess I like to be a cut above the rest.

And you're such a modest fellow as well. (evil smiley face here)

What do you have to do to get an invite to this party?

I would assume that a pass would be needed from your cardiologist.

Ooo! That looks good! Was the bacon still crispy after you fried it?

On a somewhat related note, I've never understood the term "chicken-fried something". Fried Chicken I get. Chicken Fried Steak....Okay, I'll go with that. Chicken Fried Chicken? WTF?

I've never made it but it was tasty the one time I tried it.

And you're such a modest fellow as well. (evil smiley face here)

Yeah, maybe that was a bit much. :) I mean to say that I'm proud of the 8 batches of beer I've made thus far and my friends like everything I've brewed. And I've spent lots of time refining my soup recipes, and can't get enough of them. Autumn and winter are my favorite seasons just because I can make lots of soups.

Oh, and there will be pictures. You can count on that!

Bacon parties are the best.

The sweet and heat combination is almost always a sure thing. Bacon candy (baked bacon dusted with brown sugar and cayenne prior to baking) is a thing of beauty!

Seriously though, I really enjoy taking little smokies and wraping them in bacon. Stick a toothpick through them and arrange them on a tray. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top and bake them. They are so good.

+27... My best friend makes these for every party... Just had them last Saturday for our FF Draft party. I ate about 17 of them in 8 minutes... :rockin::rockin::rockin:

Bacon parties are the best.

God bless America!!!

What better to dip bacon in, than something that contains more bacon!

1 pound bacon
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 tomato - peeled, seeded and diced

What better to dip bacon in, than something that contains more bacon!

1 pound bacon
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 tomato - peeled, seeded and diced

Why frag up perfectly good bacon with mayonnaise? Or sour cream for that matter.

Latest posts

Back