pyrex flask. From boil to ice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I got a pyrex 1000ml flask today. I have read that you can heat flask to bring liquid to a boil then place in cold water with out breaking?

My question is, Is this true? My flask is model 5100 by pyrex.

Thanks for any info.

P.S. I bought this to make starters in:ban:

Try it. You'll soon find out. :)

It's what I do all the time, and I haven't broken a flask yet. Having said that, I'll probably break one tomorrow.

-a.

Try it. You'll soon find out. :)

It's what I do all the time, and I haven't broken a flask yet. Having said that, I'll probably break one tomorrow.

-a.

Yea thats what happens lol.

Since I am boiling dme in the flask for 15 minutes, is it really necessary to use star-san in or on the flask?

I don't, and I've never had a problem yet. I also don't use airlocks or sanitized foil on top of the flask. I use an inverted empty sanitized jam jar. So much easier than the foil.

-a.

I don't, and I've never had a problem yet. I also don't use airlocks or sanitized foil on top of the flask. I use an inverted empty sanitized jam jar. So much easier than the foil.

-a.

I never thought about a jar on top. Sounds like a good idea. I have been using Al foil that I leave on while I boil the wort in the flask. I will have to try it.

Paul

PS I don't put water in my secondary airlocks since I read about Pasteur's Goose neck flask experiments (http://www.microbiologytext.com/index.php?module=Book&func=displayarticle&art_id=27). The water is useful in the primary to monitor bubble rates. In the secondary it is only a breading ground for infections. Besides I usually forgot to keep them topped up anyways.

Unless you put starsan in secondary airlocks. Then no breeding ground for infections. :)

That's what Pyrex is all about, a very low expansion coefficient. I just let my starters cool in the microwave with a jar over the opening.

being pyrex, you can do that but being someone in pharmacy school who spends a large majority of my time in a lab, it is a very bad habit to get into. ive seen quite a few people grab a piece of glassware thinking its pyrex, reflux a mixture and put it directly in an ice bath to crystallize only to have the flask/beaker shatter.

a good practice if you want to cool a boiling solution quickly is to put it into a beaker full of tap water first to bring down the temperature in 2 steps, then put in ice and no worries

being pyrex, you can do that but being someone in pharmacy school who spends a large majority of my time in a lab, it is a very bad habit to get into. ive seen quite a few people grab a piece of glassware thinking its pyrex, reflux a mixture and put it directly in an ice bath to crystallize only to have the flask/beaker shatter.

a good practice if you want to cool a boiling solution quickly is to put it into a beaker full of tap water first to bring down the temperature in 2 steps, then put in ice and no worries

That's sort of what I do. I run the container under luke warm water first. It takes the temp down some. Additionally, you won't melt your ice as quickly.

Not working in a lab, I don't make a habit of it. Rather, I make an exception of it, and only do it with my Pyrex flasks, and only when I want to cool some boiled wort down to pitching temperature.:)
I can see your point though if you do work in a lab.

-a.

Back