First time brewing - did i mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvalverde86

Reaction score
I just recently went out on a whim and purchased a kit and followed the directions as best I could. All seemed to be going well until the fermentation stage. After i put the air-tight lock on my glass carboy i stuck it in the closet where it's a dark and a little cooler ( i live in LA so the temperature is around 80) and I have yet to see very little signs of fermentation after over 36 hours.

There is a little bit of sediments around the bottom ring, but it doesn't appear to be moving/doing anything at all, i'm not exactly sure what it is. From what i've read it should have shown some visible signs of fermentation after about 6 hours which leads me to beleive that i am doing something wrong. I'm not sure, but here is what I think could be wrong with it:

- carboy/instruments were not sanitized good enough
- temperature is too high for the yeast to ferment (when i first put them in the wort was at about 60 degrees F.
- It's a lager and maybe I'm just being too impatient.

If you have any suggestions or advice to give me I would really appreciate it, also if you are willing I could send a picture of what it looks like. Thanks a lot for any help, as I said earlier this is my VERY first batch and am really looking forward to completing my first batch.

What kind of yeast did you use and did you make a starter?

What is your current temperature in the closet, you want to get it lower if its above about 70 deg, and the fact that you made a lager means you probably want to be fermenting alot lower than that.

If you are having cooling issues the threads below might give you suggestions on what to do.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=36330&highlight=temperature
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35906&highlight=temperature

a lager needs to ferment cold depending on the yeast you used, I am not sure exactly what temp but its cold 54 deg f is probably a good guess. but I dont think high temps would stop a lager ferment give off flavors maybe. I would first wonder about aireation how well did you aireate the wort before you pitched your yeast?
JJ

McKBrew: Thanks for the tips on the cooling, I have a feeling that is what might be wrong. It is above 80F in my house right now, and only slightly cooler in the closet. The yeast that I used is called White Labs - San Francisco Lager Yeast (WLP810). It is a pitchable liquid yeast.

Jaybird: When I aerated it I only shook it for maybe 30 seconds tops, the instructions were not very clear on this part, but after aerating I didn't notice that much activity. How quickly do you need to put the stopper on after aerating? I would understand if it gave off flavors, but it's not really doing anything at all.

Thanks for your guys quick responses if you have any more advice/info please feel free to contribute!

McKBrew: Apology in advance, I don't know what you meant when you said "did you make a starter"

I used a starter kit if that is what you mean. It is called California Lager and I ordered it from the 7 bridges website and can link to it if that is what you meant

You make a starter which is sort of a mini brew to increase the amount of yeast cells of which there is less than optimum in a smack pack or vial of liquid yeast.
Usually a starter of a Qt for ales and a Gal for lagers is needed but YMMV.

My guess is, you're using an extract kit which really wouldn't need to be aireated all that much since you're dumping in a few gallons of fresh water and while a yeast starter is good it isn't needed. Your yeast will just take longer to begin fermenting. Between 24-48 hours. Since this is a lager though you will seriously have problems unless you can get this into a fridge or something where you can keep the temp down around 50-54 deg.

On two occasions I pitched a White Labs vial directly, without making a starter, and both times it took over two days for visible fermentation activity to begin. So, I say wait another day, and if you don't have any activity re-pitch with dry yeast.

Its a good idea to always keep a few packs of dry yeast in the fridge for just this situation.

Liquid yeast, with no starter, up to 3 days before you see any fermentation. Just a word of advice, the beer is not going to be very good if fermented at 80 degrees, and since it's a lager yeast, it's probably gonna taste gross unless you can get it down to 54ish for fermentation. Welcome to the hobby, and don't let this mishap ruin it for you. You've gotta learn somehow!

A couple hints to help next time. Unless you have the means to keep the fermenter in the 50's... make an ale: stout, pale ale, ipa, porter, hefe, american wheat... whatever. These will be way easier for a first beer.

Keep the fermenter around 70F for ales. 68, would be ideal for most. hefes and wits, 70+. When you ferment to high.. say 75+ you will get some fruity esters and unwanted alcohols... the kinds that give you hangovers. Some beers are almost undrinkable when fermented to high... say around 80F.

Have fun!

I don't think you are going to get a lager yeast to ferment at 80 degrees plus. :(

All is not lost--If I were you, I'd just pitch an ale yeast that can handle the warmer temps, and shake up the fermentor to aerate and mix up the yeast. Hopefully that will get things started within 24 hours or so and you will be on your way.

What you get won't technically be a lager, but it will be beer and that's what matters most. :mug:

I see that Coopers dry ale yeast is advertised as being suitable for up to 80*F. There are probably others that can tolerate heat, as well.

Thanks for all the advice...I did try out one of the cooling methods (cool towel + fan) and the fermentation seems to be going along smoothly. I think it will still be a little warm for the yeast though, so I am hoping that even if it is not perfect it will at least come out decent (drinkable).

Rvalverde86 said:
Thanks for all the advice...I did try out one of the cooling methods (cool towel + fan) and the fermentation seems to be going along smoothly. I think it will still be a little warm for the yeast though, so I am hoping that even if it is not perfect it will at least come out decent (drinkable).
Don't worry about the specifics of the yeast variety, etc. If you keep the towel+fan on it, it should be fine. Good luck.

He did say California Lager, its possible that's the Anchor California Common yeast, which should be ok around 60 at least, although it sounds like he's above ale temperatures even.

-D

The point is that it's a first-time brew, it should't matter if it's on target with the style on the kit box. Chances are fair that lager yeast, if that's what he has, will work and make beer at higher temps. It will just taste ale-like. It's all good.

I did the same thing after starting my first brew, It took about 2-3 days before it started to ferment but it came out fine. Good luck

Back