Is my ABV value correct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyQuil_Driver

Reaction score
Hey guys,

On Sunday, I pitched a batch of a British Pale Ale from a brew store kit. It was a beginner's kit (my second batch ever), so the ingredients were pretty simple.

6.6 lbs Northwestern Gold LME
a pack of kettle hops, 60 Min (the hop blend is proprietary to the shop that built the kit :drunk: )
a pack of aroma hops, 15 min
11.5g packet Safale S-04 Dry Yeast
Original Volume ~5Gallons
Measured OG: 1.068 at about 68*F

It bubbled furiously for the two days after the pitch, and last night, it had slowed significantly, so I pulled a sample and got 1.014 at around 68*F. I plugged all of the appropriate values into an online calculator, and got an ABV value of 7.2%. Is that correct? I'd read that the S-04 had a pretty high alcohol tolerance, but I have to admit I was pretty surprised.

PS: The sample was friggin' delicious.

S-04 (in my experience) ferments almost completely out in 48 hours, and often quite violently. Now you just need to let it sit for a while to mellow out, if you don't you'll most likely get some bubblegum and hot alcohol tastes from it.

6.6lb LME should put you around 1047 OG. Yuo would need around 9lb to achieve even 1065.

Your reading wsa most likely not mixed perfectly and you got a skewed reading. This is very common. I'm assuming of course you did a partial boil and topped off with water.

6.6 pounds at 1047 fermenting down to 1014 will give you and ABV of 4.3%

Also did you use a temp correction for your hydro reading at 68? It won't be much but still a point or so.

6.6lb LME should put you around 1047 OG. Yuo would need around 9lb to achieve even 1065.

Your reading wsa most likely not mixed perfectly and you got a skewed reading. This is very common. I'm assuming of course you did a partial boil and topped off with water.

6.6 pounds at 1047 fermenting down to 1014 will give you and ABV of 4.3%

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe temp was off when you read your OG, also.
-Jefe-

Wyzazz: Good advice. I wouldn't dream of bottling yet.

Irregular Pulse: Thanks for the quick math. You're right. I did about a 3gallon boil, then topped up to 5 gallons. I took the sample from my bottling spigot, which could explain the high number, assuming that the thick stuff was still chilling down at the bottom. 4.3% sounds way, way more reasonable.

No Problem. It's a common question. It's very difficult to get it mixed thoroughly. You can count on hitting your numbers with extract without really taking a reading for OG. I use Beer smith for AG brewing, but it can help with extract as well calculating recipes and keeping track of brew progress with a calendar.

It's very difficult to get it mixed thoroughly.

I have an attachment for a power drill that I can put into my carboy and really tear it up mixing wise. It mixes AND it's fun!!!

Proprietary hop blend? Really?

Yeah, well, I guess they want to keep their kits unique. If ya bug 'em for info, they'll give you the AAU breakdowns and stuff. It's not a huge deal for my first few batches, so I'm not gonna get upset.

However, I do look forward to whipping up some batches based on real recipes so I can get a better feel for things, and have more control over the process.

my first batch i was similar.. i took the OG right after i added my top off water.. it wasn't mixed well yet, so my reading was from a pocket of sugar.

Back