Purposeful Temperature Drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zelltj

Reaction score
Ok so I have 2 brews in my fermentation fridge rocking at 65 F. The first (Zythos IPA) beer has been going for 11 days and the second (Red Ale) has been going for 5 days. The IPA hit terminal 3 days ago, but the Red is @ 1.015 and needs to get to 1.012. I want to make a lager starter today. Would it be alright to drop the temperature in the fridge down to 55F so the starter can ferment @ Palmer's recommended 5F over fermentation temp? Would that screw up the other 2 beers? Would they have to condition a little longer at the colder temperature? Would it hurt the starter to just ferment it @ 65F? This will be my first lager so I'm trying to make sure it is perfect. Thanks for your help!

Just pull the IPA and Red out of the fridge. Dropping temp is the last thing you want when trying to drop another few points. The warmer ambient will help attenuation and conditioning.

No problem doing lager starter at 65.

I don't think I should take those 2 beers out. I live in the Mojave dessert and it is usually about 78 in my house with swings up to 80 during the day. If I ferment my starter at 65 won't I get some off flavors in the finished beer?

If I ferment my starter at 65 won't I get some off flavors in the finished beer?

Nope. Once the starter is done, stick it in the fridge...the yeast drops out, then decant the nasty spent wort. Then pitch just the healthy yeast slurry.

Honestly, I don't see too much of a problem with upper 70's, but I agree, it's not ideal. You could just wrap in a wet towel to keep it down. Or do everything at 65 and hope for the best attenuation.

Back