Pin Lock Pressure Ques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanbmc

Reaction score
I am getting ready to tap my first pin lock keg and have a pressure question.

I know I have to hit the center on the gas tap to release the pressure, but how do I make sure I balance out the pressure in the keg correctly. I turn on my CO2, bring up the pressure, but then I have to remove disconnect to release pressure. So if I force carb I have it high, but then need it lower to serve...

How can I get an accurate reading of keg pressure when reconnecting the gas disconnect?

I hope my question makes sense, I can see the usefulness of a built in pressure valve on the ball lock kegs now.

Hi

Simple answers:

1) If you dump the pressure on the keg, the beer still has CO2 dissolved in it. You aren't letting it all out.

2) Saving CO2 is a good idea and if you trust your check valves dumping pressure is optional. Not recommended by most, but it can work.

3) The only way to know the pressure in the keg is to either dump and re-pressurize or to install a pressure gauge on the keg. You can rig it up along with a valve to bleed pressure.

Pin locks and ball locks are not a mutually exclusive sort of thing. You can always put a new lid on your keg with a pressure relief valve in it. Personally I'd just buy a ball lock, since the whole keg is roughly the price of a lid plus valve.

Bob

So hold button till all pressure is gone. Hook up, get my CO2 set to my chosen serving pressure and gas it on?

My kegerator came with a sanke tap and I bought a normal keg just to try it out. Was easy to adjust that keg pressure with the valve. Ill give it a shot, but may look at a lid replacement down the road.

So hold button till all pressure is gone. Hook up, get my CO2 set to my chosen serving pressure and gas it on?

My kegerator came with a sanke tap and I bought a normal keg just to try it out. Was easy to adjust that keg pressure with the valve. Ill give it a shot, but may look at a lid replacement down the road.

Hi

Actually the commercial keg and your ball lock work the same way. It's not that hard to adjust. The "safe" way with either one is to dump the pressure before you turn the CO2.

Bob

Back