Adjusting my Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuggy

Reaction score
I'm working on a milk stout after the first taste (moving it to a secondary to sit for a few more weeks) I noticed that it has a distinct coffee taste. I didn't use much Roasted barley and chocolate.. They were each .75lbs, in a 11lb total grain batch.

Is there anything I can do with the stout sitting in the secondary that will calm the coffee taste down. It has a great texture and I love everything else about it..

0.75 lb of roasted barley in an 11 lb batch will DEFINITELY give you a strong coffee flavor. Your grain bill is 6.8% roasted barley, and usually people use less than 5% when they specifically want a coffee flavor. Roasted barley is very strong, so if you want it to be more subtle, you should try around 2%.

I think milk or sweet stouts are about balance between four flavors: roast-y (or coffee), sweet, bitter and malt. Getting these in balance so that they satisfy your tastes is the challenge.

I brewed an Espresso Porter last year. When I first began drinking it, the coffee flavor was very distinct. After a few weeks the coffee taste had softened considerably. I think time will just keep improving your beer. Enjoy!

NRS

0.75 lb of roasted barley in an 11 lb batch will DEFINITELY give you a strong coffee flavor. Your grain bill is 6.8% roasted barley, and usually people use less than 5% when they specifically want a coffee flavor. Roasted barley is very strong, so if you want it to be more subtle, you should try around 2%.

I respectfully disagree. A stout with 2% roasted barley isn't a stout, it's an amber ale. Stouts are usually dark brown to jet black, and that's going to require roasted barley in excess of 5%. I did a dry Irish stout for St. Pat's this year (for example) with 10% roasted barley. It was coffee-ish, but that's the definitive flavor of stout ale, and it was certainly not excessive. The OP should let it mellow for a bit in the bottle/keg and I'm sure he'll be very happy with the results. A good stout always tastes better after a good month of flavor-melding.

Here's the cream stout recipe that I've settled on, it uses 0.75 lbs roasted barley http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/sweet-stout.html

7.00 lb Munich Malt
2.00 lb Wheat Malt
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose)
Edinburgh Yeast

Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Final Gravity: 1.020
Alcohol by Vol: 3.9%
Bitterness: 34.4 IBU
Calories: 227 calories/pint
Color: 36.7 SRM
Mashed at 154 degrees, single infusion, batch sparge

Well it was kind of a false alarm. After I transfered to the secondary to add my vanilla soaked oak chips i noticed the taste was much better.

I must have had a layer of flavors in the primary. After the siphon mixed everything it was great. I guess I've never had the problem of the layer effect before.

Latest posts

Back