Defib Unit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
My defib unit went off this morning. It was sudden and without too much warning really. I felt a little disorentated then bamb. Went off. Knocked the wind out of me. Kinda felt like someone wraped a pillow around a bat and swung it at my chest.

I went to the ER and they checked the vitals.... was fine just like Pumbaa said I'd be:) For whatever coincidence I have an apointment with the doctor who installed it tomorrow morning. I really have no idea why the ER did not connect to the computer and find out the specifics of why it went off.

Are they supposed to warn you? I'm imaging this little voice in your chest, "30 second warning to defib, 29, 28 ... CLEAR!"

Sounds like something to avoid, but I wouldn't be too surprised about getting one myself in a decade or so.

That is some scary $hit right there, I hope you're ok dude.

I would be interested as well to know why it went off like that, especially with no warning because there is supposed to be a loud noise, or "Clear so that others around you don't get hurt as well.

Feel better, and keep us posted.

Glad your ok!

With forums you get used to see people posting, then one day poof they are gone, you really have no clue what happened to them.

I really have no idea why the ER did not connect to the computer and find out the specifics of why it went off.

Depending on what hospital you go to , they don't have the "computer". Plus the Defib unit in your chest does not keep a running record of your EKG, rythym, or whatever you want to call it. They pretty much run on a certain set of parameters, that are pre-programed. They can sometimes hook up the computer at the office and tell you the rhythm at the time of firing, and stuff like that. Glad you are feeling ok, and hope it doesn't happen too often!

Wow- I'm so glad you're ok. That must really be frightening, to feel it jump-start your heart while you're wide awake. Thank goodness it worked- I'm glad that you're here to tell us about it.

Lorena

Thanks all. I got some more information today. It appears it only half fired. The upper part of my heart started going fast and the bottom part could not keep up so the computer gave me a shock. Can't remember if he said that it shocked the upper to slow down or the lower to speed up. But man.. only half?

Yeah perhaps the hospital did not have the right stuff to get the information. Once I got to my doc he just needed to know it fired. Could give me the time down to the second. He believes that the sleep problems I have been having contributed to it. Said sleep apnea most certainly causes heart problems, most often speeding of the heart which is what happened with me. Was glad I was going to the sleep lab again to test out some machines (went very well by the way... hoping to get a call soon... the medical equipment place will come to my home and give me a run down of the stuff).

Latest posts

Back