I have this one gallon glass Jug can I use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim2akat2

Reaction score
I have no ideal where I got it I think my sister may have gotten it at a yard sale. It had some rust stains in the bottom that I was able to remove with a soak in vinegar and then a scrub with one of the green scrub pads going thur the neck of the bottle with a wooden dowel rod. I have no ideal what was originally in this jug can it be used as a fermentation vessel? It had a white metal cap with a paper/coated in plastic seal on it.

+1 I got a carboy from a buddy that smelled like kerosene after a good cleaning I used it. I've had probably a dozen brews in it and I'm still kickin Chopps

Was the bump necessary?

Maybe you didn't think that one answer is enough.....I found a hydrogen sulfide cylinder and it might make a great fermentation vessel go ahead!!!!, I have a rusty 55 gallon drum that I want to use to make a porter absolutly.... I have a hydrogen cyanide beaker I want to make a starter for my stout. Yes one answer does mean a bump to me. In the mean time I have a 10 gallon gasoline can you can use as a keg.

Maybe you didn't think that one answer is enough.....I found a hydrogen sulfide cylinder and it might make a great fermentation vessel go ahead!!!!, I have a rusty 55 gallon drum that I want to use to make a porter absolutly.... I have a hydrogen cyanide beaker I want to make a starter for my stout. Yes one answer does mean a bump to me. In the mean time I have a 10 gallon gasoline can you can use as a keg.

There is a great thread (one of my favorites) where a guy found a super old carboy hidden in his barn. It had a dead mouse caked to the inside and I think after soaking it in lye or bleach or both, he cleaned & sanitized and brewed with it.

You should be fine on that 1 gallon jug. Soak it in PBW or oxyclean for a few days, maybe bleachbomb it or run it through a pots and pan cycle on the dishwasher if you are worried. After a thorough cleaning, sanitize and you are good to go.

Thanks I have the oxygen cleaner I will use. Guess glass isn't affected all that much by chemicals.

Do you think I would bother telling you and typing this out if you could not. Or mabye you should go buy some BMClight and be done with brewing.
Why so hostile to people trying to help?

First off I never drink BMC or any BMC light products. Don't like them. I could be done with brewing but it is easier to just leave here. BYE BYE

Could you do it, yeah, and you'd probably be fine after cleaning it out good. If it's questionable, as to, what was in it, I wouldn't use it myself. I will also second the statement about 1 gallon being a pretty small ferment.

Cheers

~rc~

Clann said:
Do you think I would bother telling you and typing this out if you could not. Or mabye you should go buy some BMClight and be done with brewing.
Why so hostile to people trying to help?

I have to agree with the advice here and the search funtions there are lots of answers

Back