First Hefe- Wyeast 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibbypwn

Reaction score
I'm brewing up my first hefe this weekend- using an extract kit from northern brewer- what's a good pitching/fermentation temp for this yeast strain?

This is also my first brew with a freezer/temp controller (yay, no more ice bath!). How much should I compensate for the increased internal temp during fermentation? Obviously, if I set my temp controller to 62, the beer would be a few degrees warmer- but by how much?

I've heard about 4 degrees is usually good, but I could be mistaken. As for pitching the yeast, every hefe I do I wait until it's about 70 to pitch then I place it in a 20 gallon tote bucket and fill it with water to try and hold the actually beer temp at 68 ish. I hear if you go to the 64 degree and below range you end up with the clove taste and higher temps the banana/bubblegum flavors. I shoot for the banana so I try and keep it between 68-70 degrees. Personal preference if you want to go lower I guess.

Yeah, I like to ferment mine around 66, just to tone down the banana a little. Like joeirvine said, lower and you'll get more clove, higher and you'll get more banana. I've found for my tastes, 66 is a nice blend of the two.

As far as the ferm chamber, where is your probe located? If you either use a thermowell or tape it to the side of the fermenter with a little bit of bubblewrap/washcloth/insulation over it, the probe should read the temp of the beer pretty well. In that case, you wouldn't really need to set your temp too much lower (maybe a degree or two if its on the outside, but I haven't checked it).

Also, just in case you haven't run across this info yet, that yeast can be a beast. Definitely make sure you've got plenty of head space, and set up a blow-off tube. You'd hate to dirty up your new ferm chamber right off the bat :D.

How do thermowells work in conjunction with blow off tubes?

I thought about ordering one, but it didn't seem like it would be much help in high gravity or otherwise high krausening beers

Also, just in case you haven't run across this info yet, that yeast can be a beast. Definitely make sure you've got plenty of head space, and set up a blow-off tube. You'd hate to dirty up your new ferm chamber right off the bat :D.

This is VERY sound advice!

Most of the time they're either used with a stopper with two holes in it or a carboy cap. I like the caps because I can fit a hose into the center hole with a chunk of cut up broken racking cane and slide the thermowell through the side hole, but I've also used the stoppers with a 3-piece airlock with a hose fitted to the center post. I'm assuming you've got carboys, I suppose if you had a bucket you could just drill a second hole in the lid for the thermowell.

Back