Compare Hops - Centennial, Magnum, Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinCT

Reaction score
I currently use one ounce of Centennial to bitter my amber ale. I have brewed 5 or more batches the same way. I use it with Cascade for flavor and aroma. I like it but I am thinking of trying another hops for bitter and some choices I have heard about are Magnum and Norther Brewer.

I wonder if any one has used all three and could offer some advice. Looking for a clean, interesting but not overdone bite for my ale.

recipe I use is:

10 lb base grain
1 lb carared
1 lb crystal #60
1 ounce centennial (60 minutes)
1 ounce of cascade at (15 minutes)
0.5 ounce cascade(5 minutes)

thanks, Mike

I do not have enough experience with all of them to compare, but I do know that I have used Yakima Magnum and wanted to tape the bag over my face like a nurses mask while I brewed it smelled so damn good. Only one I have used so far that I like better is Amarillo. Still looking to use Simcoe in the future.

I think centennial and cascade are pretty similiar and can be substituted for one another. I would use magnum for your next bittering hop and either cascade or centennial for your aroma/flavor hop. Magnums are typically a pretty neutral bittering hop and might allow you to get a more distinct aroma/flavor from your later addition without somewhat blending them together. I also like warrior for bittering, but you have to watch them my current supply is rated at 18.1%!

Another vote for the magnums. Great mellow bittering hop. I've used them in pales and browns along with cascade, Amarillo, centennial and a few others. The magnums give a nice bitterness, but really allow the flavor and aroma additions to make up most of the hop character.

Back