What do you treat a cider press with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbear1

Reaction score
This weekend I found an old Garden Way cider press and fruit grinder that looks like it was sitting in someones garage for the last 15 years. However for the $75 the previous owner wanted I figure I can do some cleaning and touch up the finish. I know how to clean but what should I touch up the finish with? These are the predecessors to the Jaffey floor model presses except they had wooden grinders rather than metal. If anyone has hints on using these things that would be appreciated as well.

Fruit growing was once very popular in my part of the state so all my friends and neighbors have remnants of small apple and pear orchards and the fruit goes to waste. I hope to get this press cleaned over the winter and do some serious gleaning next fall.

Thanks,

I used one myself this year. My concern was the varnish having an affect on my cider or even being harmful. I took a pressure washer to it to clean all of the loose stuff off. If it was mine I would not treat it since it is made of hardwood. Just clean it good before usage and store out of the weather. If you really want to treat it Brushy Mountain Bee Farm sells a product called CamCote that is used to coat things that are not food safe. It is item number 615 and cost 12.95 plus shipping. Their web site is brushymountianbeefarm.com or call 1800beeswax

Don't apply very much pressure to the press. The screw will kick to the side if the apples are not level.

Also the collection bin is just a little too deep for a 5 gal paint strainer. The elastic kept sliding off of the top of the bin. I would cut some 2x4's to fit inside of it to hold the bottom of the strainer bag up a little, and then remove then before I pressed the apples.

After you press the apples dry take the bag out and loosen the apples and press again.

Back