My New Mead Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnychicago

Reaction score
I'm trying out a new way of making 1 gallon batches of mead. Rather than messing with sanitation and transfers initially, I am using the below method:

188301_4753243586469_331094959_n.jpg

I clean and sanitize a 5L flask, then fill with 3lb of honey, yeast nutrient and enough water to reach 4L. I then heat it to 150F for 45 min. to kill the nasties and keep the stir plate going to stir and aerate the must. I let it cool to pitching temps then pitch a packet of Nottingham dry yeast right into the flask!

After six weeks of fermentation at 60F, I'll siphon into a 1 gallon jug, leaving behind the yeast cake and let it condition until kegging time.

This particular mead is a gallberry honey mead that I'll infuse with some Very Berry white tea from Teavana.

Anyone see any potential problems with this method?

I'm trying out a new way of making 1 gallon batches of mead. Rather than messing with sanitation and transfers initially, I am using the below method:

I clean and sanitize a 5L flask, then fill with 3lb of honey, yeast nutrient and enough water to reach 4L. I then heat it to 150F for 45 min. to kill the nasties and keep the stir plate going to stir and aerate the must. I let it cool to pitching temps then pitch a packet of Nottingham dry yeast right into the flask!

After six weeks of fermentation at 60F, I'll siphon into a 1 gallon jug, leaving behind the yeast cake and let it condition until kegging time.

This particular mead is a gallberry honey mead that I'll infuse with some Very Berry white tea from Teavana.

Anyone see any potential problems with this method?

Nope, I'm sure the pasteurization could change the flavor profile a bit. That's an impressive flask and stir plate.

Nope, I'm sure the pasteurization could change the flavor profile a bit. That's an impressive flask and stir plate.
Spot on with that. I wouldn't pasteurise anything that doesn't need it and honey doesn't. It's already as sanitised as nature can make it.

The stir plate sounds like a better quality heating version. I just got an old home brewing version that just spins, it doesn't have any speed control or anything like that, but I got a 5000ml erhlenmeyer flask off ebay but I'll have to get some 40mm bungs for it.

Ha! if my inaugural stir plate batch is a success, then I'll probably start looking for something better, as it'd be excellent if I could make 5 gallon batches like that.........

Yeah, the honey is fine I'm sure. It's more for the water, stir bar, and nutrients. Coming from a brewing background instead of a wine background has made me pretty anal about sanitation. I figure the If I keep it below the steam release heat point, I shouldn't be blowing off too much of the delicate aromas.

Yeah, the honey is fine I'm sure. It's more for the water, stir bar, and nutrients. Coming from a brewing background instead of a wine background has made me pretty anal about sanitation. I figure the If I keep it below the steam release heat point, I shouldn't be blowing off too much of the delicate aromas.
Yes it will. Honey is already one of, if not the most hygienic substances in nature.

The primary ferment action will sort out pretty much any spoilage organisms and the like.

Good picture though, with nice kit (laser thermometer.....nice).

Stir plate use isn't particularly new just that most people don't use them probably for cost reasons.

This makes me wonder:

Is magnetic stirring a good aeration technique? Can it be used in, let's say, a 1 gallon jug?

magnetic stirring is a very good aeration technique. I haven't used oxygen at pitching since I started using the stir plate. I do, however pitch some of the starter (not all, but some). As far as working for a 1 gal. jug, that would entirely depend on whether the bottom of the jug is flat or not.

I just got a battery powered milk frother at IKEA for 3 bucks. I cant wait to aerate something! And its even thin enough to fit in a 1 gallon Carboy.

Latest posts

Back