First Time Cyser Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. As the title implies, I'm considering making a cyser. Now, I've some experience in home distilling, but this will be my first straight-up "homebrew." I've limited experience in winemaking, my last clear memory in the matter being when an unexpected explosion occured in my closet with a batch of cheap wine at age 13. Since then, I've come to the realization that good ol' THC is my intoxicant of choice....Anyways, my current job does random drug tests, so my current poison is alcohol.

I'm considering making a ~4.5 gallon batch of cyser. I'm looking for something that will finish fermentation within 10 days at around 8-10%. I know this won't sit well with the conossieurs, but I want something that I can chill out on after work without a massive hangover. I'd make a simple beer, but to be honest, beer isn't my cup of tea...So, I've decided to makre either a cider or mead. Since my research thus far has turned up nil on how to make something that tastes good without crippling me the next morning, I've decided to make a cyser.

Only thing is, though, I've not been able to find any recipes listing an alcohol content. Most of what I've been able to find either historic recipes listing nothing or an OG/FG reading. Now, I have a hydrometer, but normally I use the "burn test" (I'm a distiller, in case you haven't noticed i've been drinking).

Anyways, I'm terribly sorry about the inconcerency that's almost certainly present. What I'm looking for is a cyser at about 8-10% abv that won't give me a massive hangover. I'm probably going to use EC-1118, as it works fast and doesn't give that much of an off-flavor (when distilled, at least). Can anyone point me in the right direction, or possibly have a recipe floating around that doesn't require 1+ month maturation? Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out.

No way a cyser will be ready as quick as you'd like it to be. You'll need a good month in the primary alone under good conditions and several months to age after that.

And I wouldn't advertise "home distilling". That's illegal (unless you are in NZ).

Maybe I am in NZ ;)

A month alone in the primary? Even for something around 8%? Oh well, I guess I'll have to find something different...Or hone my patience.

Either way, I need something relatively quick that isn't beer...Or a nice strong, dark beer that ferments quick. Is this my only option for a fast ferment that tastes good, or do I have other options?

Latest posts

Back