Coming to Minn/St Paul. Beer suggestions anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knewshound

Reaction score
I am coming to Minn/St Paul in a couple of weeks and since I always try to drink locally, I was wondering what are the preferred local brews?

Thanks,

knewshound

Went to the site but, I am sad to say, no one serves it in the area I am going to be in.

Thanks for the thought though.

Cheers,

knewshound

I spend lots of time in Minneapolis and one of my first stops I make into town to stock up my hotel fridge is at Blue Max Liquors 14640 10th Ave S. Burnsville, Minnesota, 55337. It's very easy to get to. About a block east of 35E on County 42. They have over 1100 beers to choose from!

My other watering hole is the Old Chicago in Eden Prairie. 110 different beers there.

Then there's St. Paul which has quite a few great Irish Pubs in the downtown area that are definately worth checking out. I'll post the names if I think of 'em.

PM me when you get in the area and maybe we can grab a couple beers. :mug:

edit: Forgot to mention the local breweries. Surly, August Schell, Summit, Leinenkugel are the bigger breweries in the region. All brew decent beers.

Puuuuurfect !

I will give you a shout if I get some free time.

Thanks much for the suggestions. Like I said, I like to drink local when I can.

Thanks again,

knewshound

iggy_fenton said:
Don't forget, Northern Brewer is in St. Paul, it would be a nice little visit as well!

Sadly, I am stuck with Public Transpo so I will not be very mobile.

I will have to be satisfied with local brews I'm afraid.

But thats not a bad thing !

Cheers,

knewshound

I have followed that story with interest, go figure given my screen name....

If possible, I will be drinking AS I bring my dog in the Taxi, that ought to really pi$$ em off.....

Cheers,

knewshound

knewshound said:
I have followed that story with interest, go figure given my screen name....

If possible, I will be drinking AS I bring my dog in the Taxi, that ought to really pi$$ em off.....

Cheers,

knewshound

Maybe bring a sixer from one of our members :ban:

Ok Mods, I'm done ;)

The Town Hall Brewery has a fantastic scotch ale. I highly reccomend it.

Since you aren't going to have transportation readily available. What part of town are you going to be staying in? Might be able to pinpoint a few other locations for you.

A few blocks away from Midwest Supplies is a Granite City restaurant and brewery. Not sure if they're a regional chain or whatnot, but they do brew their own in house. Same with Rock Bottom Brewery downtown at Hennepin and 8th. There's also an Old Chicago a bit closer to downtown, on Hennepin and 26th I think it was. Also a nice selection.

EDIT: Old Chicago is on Hennepin and 29th.

dblvsn said:
Since you aren't going to have transportation readily available. What part of town are you going to be staying in? Might be able to pinpoint a few other locations for you.

I am going to be in Bloomington, so I am quite a few miles from Minn/St Paul itself.

Basically, I am going to be at the intersection of 494 and 100.

There is a shuttle to the Mall of America, wherever that is.

From that point on, I am hoofing it or using a bus or Taxi.

I have searched the area and have discovered that the hotel is in an area of many other similar Hotels so "local" bars and restaurants are few and far between.

I'm thinking I am going to just be buying 6 packs of whatever is available.

Cheers,

knewshound

Town hall is worth the bus ride. You are going to kinda be in a 'touristy" part of town. Lots of business guests in that area. Mpls is easy to get around, well worth exploring.

There is a light rail line (trolley/train system on dedicated track) that starts at the Mall of America (which is in Bloomington) and takes you right into downtown. It's cheap too, since the bureaucrats running the show aren't exactly business savvy. :p

Summit makes great beers... Surly Brewing also makes good beer, but it's still a small operation out of Brooklyn Center.

Granite City is a chain so you can visit one of them all over the US.

I would recommend taking the light rail from Bloomington, to Minneapolis... Then stoping at granite city for dinner. Then walking north across the bridge and visit http://www.surdyks.com/

sm_happyday.jpg

Be sure to try some Jimmy Page beer. :D

You can get it on NorthWest airlines (at least before they filed bankruptcy).

When I first visited Minneapolis, I too was stuck near the mall. In fact, my hotel was across the street. I thought it was hell on earth. Then I went back and got put up at the Embassy Suites in downtown and I thought it was a great town. I ate lunch at "the Local", an Irish pub there. There's a place called The Newsroom that had quite a bit on tap and in bottles. I also went to Rock Bottom brewery (not the best brews I've had, but better location for the franchise anyway).

EdWort said:
Be sure to try some Jimmy Page beer. :D

You can get it on NorthWest airlines (at least before they filed bankruptcy).

It's a shame James Page is now made in Wisconsin *sniff*...

Bobby_M said:
When I first visited Minneapolis, I too was stuck near the mall. In fact, my hotel was across the street. I thought it was hell on earth. Then I went back and got put up at the Embassy Suites in downtown and I thought it was a great town. I ate lunch at "the Local", an Irish pub there. There's a place called The Newsroom that had quite a bit on tap and in bottles. I also went to Rock Bottom brewery (not the best brews I've had, but better location for the franchise anyway).

Yeah I agree with you about the MOA.. It's cool to visit once, but is fairly damn annoying once you've seen it.

The local is a pretty good joint with a nice selection of Whiskey, although pricey. Sorry to hear about the bad brews at Rock Bottom, they're kinda hit an miss.

Hope you enjoyed the trip!

Back