Got my new AG system set up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadmium

Reaction score
Well, I have been MIA for a couple weeks. What with work and uni etc etc. But I am back. And I have a brand new AG set up, no more boiling in 3 seperate pots etc.

I got my self a 10 gallon igloo cooler, with a SS braided hose, a converted keg that I "borrowed" from the local pub and some more nifty gadgets. Like I "borrowed" from my work 2 pairs of thermal insulated gloves, designed for moving around 150 degree (celcius) which is prolly like 350F oil.... yeah, its great! also some other nick nacks. I am going to test the new system out this weekend. Thought I might post my recipe and walk you through my proccess. Tell me what you think! (I havent done an AG on my own before, only with a friends help, so this will be a first for me)

-------------------------------------
Grains
8lbs Australian pilsner malt
2lbs Vienna
.45lbs Light Crystal

Hop Schedule
1oz cascade - 60mins
.5oz cascade - 30mins
.25oz cascade - 15mins
.25oz cascade - 5mins

------------------------------------
Mash and sparge
------------------------------------
Ok, so I am going to heat up my sparge water. I am making a 5 gallon batch - 23 litres and am hoping for a pre-boil of 6 gallons or ~ 26 litres

So I plan on the following, heat up 13 litres mash water to strike temp. add about 4 litres and dough in. Add the rest of the water. Mash for 60 mins. Mash out with further water (the grain absorption) to get a first running of 13 litres.

Put first runnings onto kettle to heat. Batch sparge with 13.5 litres sparge water (.5 litre to account for dead space) and leave for 10 mins. Drain. The proceed onto the boil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does all of that sound? about right? any major floors?

:mug:

congratz on the new system! I was boiling in 3 seperate pots as well for my first 2 AG. FINALLY got a turkey fryer, so I understand the joy of getting away from the crazy 3-way boil.

Back