Anyone Use Stackable Vittles Vault Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I found a few threads of people using these, but I couldn't find any pictures.

Those of you using the stackable Vittles Vault as fermenters, did you make a 45 degree angle to keep your airlock perpendicular to the floor, or do you just let it stick directly out of the lid at a 45 degree angle? Anyone have any pics of these stackables used as fermenters?

If you were careful enough, I imagine you could bore your own hole in the top to add the airlock + washer and not worry about angles.

Thanks for the reply. I'm really only interested in these because they are stackable. Putting and airlock in the top would be easy enough, but then they are no longer stackable.

My relegated brew closet will only fit three bucket fermenters right now, I could fit 4-6 if I could stack these vittles vaults two high.

I assume a bubbler airlock would be fine at a 45 degree angle in the lid, but a three-piece airlock probably wouldn't function properly at that angle. Anyway, I want to see if anyone had any experience before I started experimenting.

Thanks for the reply. I'm really only interested in these because they are stackable. Putting and airlock in the top would be easy enough, but then they are no longer stackable.

My relegated brew closet will only fit three bucket fermenters right now, I could fit 4-6 if I could stack these vittles vaults two high.

Good point on the airlock getting in the way of stacking. I am retarded.

You might be able to drill a hole in the angled part and add maybe a CPVC elbow, and then that can seat your airlock?

There's gotta be a way to adapt to this-- because it looks like those would be REALLY functional!

I thought about using those, except you can't open them until done, that is if you filled it up beyond the level of the cover. Or you would have to turn them and then whatever had settled on the bottom is now going to be kicked back up. Why not just go with the regular vittles vaults and buy/build a shelf?

I understand what you want to do and why, I just drilled my 13 gallon Vittle Vault and installed the grommet for the Airlock. I would offer caution with stacking them myself, due to a couple reasons. 1.) Like mentioned prior by someone else, the heat. I figure if one can produce 5 degrees while fermenting, then what will 3 do on top of each other, and the higher the temp while fermenting, the more liklihood of off flavors from fermenting at too high of a temp for the yeast. 2.) I know my fermenters (Plastic Barrels), when I lift them, the bottom sags under the weight of the wort, this causes the airlocks to inhale a bunch of air and liquid through the airlock into my sanitary wort (now beer). I imagine lifting one off the other, setting one back on the other, etc.... will create a kind of inhaling & exhaling and maybe suck in some nasties eventually. I might be wrong, but something for you to think about (stacking I mean).:eek:

What size grommet do you use and where did you get it?? I am thinking about buying a few of these for my fermentation chamber. I think 2 of them will fit perfectly. Can you confirm that the dimensions are correct? I have 28" so they will fit very snugly together if they are indeed 14 inches square!

I understand what you want to do and why, I just drilled my 13 gallon Vittle Vault and installed the grommet for the Airlock. I would offer caution with stacking them myself, due to a couple reasons. 1.) Like mentioned prior by someone else, the heat. I figure if one can produce 5 degrees while fermenting, then what will 3 do on top of each other, and the higher the temp while fermenting, the more liklihood of off flavors from fermenting at too high of a temp for the yeast. 2.) I know my fermenters (Plastic Barrels), when I lift them, the bottom sags under the weight of the wort, this causes the airlocks to inhale a bunch of air and liquid through the airlock into my sanitary wort (now beer). I imagine lifting one off the other, setting one back on the other, etc.... will create a kind of inhaling & exhaling and maybe suck in some nasties eventually. I might be wrong, but something for you to think about (stacking I mean).:eek:

Latest posts

Back