What kind of attenuation can be expected from an extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McDingleberry

Reaction score
I brewed the IPA extract kit from Northern Brewer about 10 days ago. The kit says that the OG should be 1.064, which I hit exactly. Unfortunately, the kit doesn't say what the FG should be. The bubbles in the blow-off slowed way down on Saturday so I took a reading just to see where it was. It was 1.015 and now 3 days later it hasn't moved. I was hoping to get down closer to 1.010, but I just don't know if that's normal or not for extract kits. Should I be happy with 1.015? It tastes awesome by the way.

I brewed the IPA extract kit from Northern Brewer about 10 days ago. The kit says that the OG should be 1.064, which I hit exactly. Unfortunately, the kit doesn't say what the FG should be. The bubbles in the blow-off slowed way down on Saturday so I took a reading just to see where it was. It was 1.015 and now 3 days later it hasn't moved. I was hoping to get down closer to 1.010, but I just don't know if that's normal or not for extract kits. Should I be happy with 1.015? It tastes awesome by the way.

Give it another week.

1.015 is pretty low for an extract kit with an OG of 1.064. An identical gravity reading three days in a row is a good indication fermentation is complete. You could enter the ingredients in something like brewtarget and get an expected OG/FG, but that sounds like a successful fermentation to me.

1.015 is pretty low for an extract kit with an OG of 1.064. An identical gravity reading three days in a row is a good indication fermentation is complete. You could enter the ingredients in something like brewtarget and get an expected OG/FG, but that sounds like a successful fermentation to me.

This is good to hear. As much as I want to cold crash it right now and bottle it, I think I might give it another week, then cold crash for 3 days.

All the NB extract kits are like that. I have done 5 so far, and none of them tell you what to expect as a FG. I just give it a month, then take a couple samples a few days apart to make sure it has stabilized before bottling.

All the NB extract kits are like that. I have done 5 so far, and none of them tell you what to expect as a FG. I just give it a month, then take a couple samples a few days apart to make sure it has stabilized before bottling.

Yeah, it's the month part that sucks. This is my first batch in almost 3 years and I want to drink it now dammit! It already tastes awesome, but I think I'm going to give it about 3 weeks in the primary (dry hop with .5oz of cascade in the last week) then cold crash for a few days.

Back