SS Braid or CPVC Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
All,

Before I ask my question, I just want to say thanks! You guys have been giving great info and even better advice on each and every question that I have asked!

Now, onto the question. I am trying to decide between a SS Braid or CPVC Manifold for my AG setup.

I have a 50qt Xtreme cooler and a 70qt Xtreme cooler. Both have been outfitted with ball valves and are ready to be used. I have been reading different opinions about which is better, but no definitive info has been provided. So here I am, in the best place I can think of, asking for your assistance again.

Here are my questions:

1) What do you use?

2) What is your efficiency?

3) Are you batch or fly-sparging?

4) Is one solution better for batch sparging, and the other better for fly sparging?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Mike

I dont have any experience with the braid but my first AG setup i built a CPVC manifold per 'How To Brew' and I loved it. Here is a link to a thread a guy built the same setup I had.. (he used copper for the manifold though)

You should be able to get a lot of info about manifolds off of it.

I use a CPVC manifold, and I fly sparge, and my efficiency over 8 batches averages about 82%. I have never done it any other way, so I can't say which is better.

I went with the braid. My efficiency has been running around 75%. The primary reason I use the braid was I didn't want to cut slots or drill holes. I have had a stucl sparge, but it was my fault. I kinked the braid when I installed it. Since fixing this I have not had any problems. I did use pex tubing in my mash tun lid for a sparge rinse and that works very well.

I built a SS braid because it looked the easiest. I haven't brewed thousands of gallons of beer but over the few batches I've done I haven't had any problems. My efficiency seems to be running in the low 70s% which is fine with me. From everything I've read on these forums it's a little silly for homebrewers to get all caught up in efficiency since we're making such small batches. Efficiency is more important to commercial brewers who are trying to maximize their profit per volume of beer.

Good luck!:mug:

When you say great, what do you mean? What are your numbers?

85% on my first AG using batch sparging (haven't built my HLT yet). I've gotten low to mid 80s every other batch since. Not bad since most people start around 65% first go around. Although perhaps my LHBS has a good crush. Either way, I've noticed it drains really well.

1) False bottom. Great for a cylindrical cooler, but not for a rectangular

2) 85%

3) Fly, but I have batch sparged a few times

4) Both are adequate for batch sparging, but the braid is not good for fly unless you have enough braid to completely cover the bottom of the lauter tun.

Palmer has a good article of manifold design in http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD-1.html

-a.

Back