Blueberry Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3944
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days 68 deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days 68 deg
Tasting Notes
Slightly Bitter, dry, prominent blueberry flavor, minimal hop
My all-grain Blueberry Wit Recipe

6 lbs 2 row
3lbs 12 oz white wheat
4oz carapils
1/4 oz coriander
1/2 oz bitter orange peel
1.25 oz saaz hops
12oz Blueberry Palma Juice
One small Can Pie Filling
Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast 3944

Mash in with 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 gal water heated to 172 deg water to mash at 156deg for 60 mins.

Sparged with 4 1/2 to 5 gal water heated to 175 deg

Collect about 7.5 gallons wort

Boil 60 mins with .50 oz saaz hops at 60 and .75 oz saaz hops at 15 to 20 mins left.

Add 12 oz Blueberry Palma juice to primary at 72 deg and pitch above yeast. let ferment for 2 weeks at 68 deg.

Add small can of Blueberry pie filling to secondary rack beer on top keep at about 68 deg for another 2 weeks.

Add 1oz to 2 oz depending on desired level of blueberry flavor to bottling bucket or keg.

I used a few basic recipes i found and put my own twist on it. After carbing at 12 psi for 7 to 10 days in the keg i must admit this is delicious. Mine is a little heavy on the blueberry flavor mainly because i read so many posts about how hard blueberry flavor was to achieve so i added 2 oz instead of 1. I was also surprised how the yeast ate the color right out of the brew. If you want it more subtle add only one oz or skip the blueberry flavoring all together. One of the only beers other than Biermunchers Centennial Blonde ale that when i tasted in the secondary i didn't want to spit it out. Figured i'd share the wealth as this beer is being enjoyed by my household.

I ended up with about 6.5 gallons in primary after boil including added juice. I ended up after primary and secondary with about 5.5 gal in botteling bucket. I kegged 5 gal and bottled about 6 bottles. This is my experience based on my notes so in an effort to replicate the recipe i gave you exactly what i did.

also i didn't mean to post this in the American ale section,:drunk: that was an accident. Moderators please move.

Latest posts

Back