Buh-Bye Bees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
"So if the collapse worsens, Americans could end up being "stuck with grains and water,"

Hmm.... Beer anyone! :mug:

Atleast there is a positive side. But seriously, this appears to be a problem. Like the story goes, maybe they should irradiate them to kill the parasites. Or maybe it's time to genetically create another bee that can be more hardier and resistant to these parasites. Course who knows, it could be a pesticide problem. Either way it doesn't look good. Hopefully prices won't go up.

FNnewguy said:
"So if the collapse worsens, Americans could end up being "stuck with grains and water,"

Hmm.... Beer anyone! :mug:

Atleast there is a positive side. But seriously, this appears to be a problem. Like the story goes, maybe they should irradiate them to kill the parasites. Or maybe it's time to genetically create another bee that can be more hardier and resistant to these parasites. Course who knows, it could be a pesticide problem. Either way it doesn't look good. Hopefully prices won't go up.

Poor bees...first they got africanized, now they're dying off. What the hell do wasps contribute? Why can't we get them working?

quoted from Bill Maher's "New Rules" 4/20/07:

"So, here's a quote from Albert Einstein. He said, if the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination. No more plants. No more animals. No more man. Well, guess what? The bees are disappearing in massive numbers all around the world. And if you think I'm being alarmist, and that, "Oh, they'll figure out some way to pollinate the plants." No, they've tried.

For a lot of what we eat, only bees work. And they're not working. They're gone. It's called "colony collapse disorder," when the hive's inhabitants suddenly disappear and all that's left are a few queens and some immature workers. Like when a party winds down at Elton John's house. Queens imagery.

But, I think we are the ones suffering from colony collapse disorder. Because, although nobody really knows for sure what's killing the bees, it's not Al Qaeda, and it's not God doing some of his Old Testament shtick. And it's not Winnie the Pooh. It's us. It could be from pesticides or genetically-modified food or global warming, or the high fructose corn syrup we started to feed them.

Recently, it was discovered that bees won't fly near cell phones. The electromagnetic signals they emit might screw up the bees' navigation system, knocking them out of the sky. So, thanks, big mouth guy in line at Starbucks. You just killed us.

It's nature's way of saying, 'Can you hear me now?"'

I've been wondering for years what are the effects of all the signals and waves travelling through the air. Cellphones, WIFI, HD Radio, etc. It has to F something up. Looks like it's the bees.

Are bees disappearing in non-wireless countries?

I do believe we're F-ing things up, and we're definitely wiping out species all the time, but even if we did lose all the bees, we'd probably be able to artificially pollinate. Then again you'll be paying $20 for an apple.

Originally Posted by FNnewguy

What the hell do wasps contribute?

Sorry I didn't post that. But wasps do keep spiders in check. By using them for larvae food.

I recently wrote a paper about this, it's really unknown how much of an effect this will have on crops. There are many native pollinators in the US, but they require a more varied source of nectar. That's not something you will see in the fields of Nebraska. Those silly Canadians have already shown that leaving 1/3 of available land untouched will actually increase the overall crop yield.

Just a couple of points, there have been die-offs in the past. The earliest was recorded in the 1800's. However, none have approached the current level of die-offs, some beekeepers are reporting 90% losses, but the average seems to be around 50%. The have been two recent die-offs at this scale, one in France and one here. The one in France was linked to a pesticide that screwed up insect navigation systems. The one in the US is the varroa mite, something that is still responsible for 10% yearly die-offs for the last ten years.

The cell-phone theory has been widely disproven. The original researchers actually disproved the theory, but the media rarely reads past the title of a research project to get to the conclusion. Poor researchers are now getting heat for something they did right the first time.

All signs do seem to point to some type of pathogen, the honey in hives will remain untouched by marauders and no new hives will form until it is irradiated.

Vermicous said:
I recently wrote a paper about this, it's really unknown how much of an effect this will have on crops. There are many native pollinators in the US, but they require a more varied source of nectar. That's not something you will see in the fields of Nebraska. Those silly Canadians have already shown that leaving 1/3 of available land untouched will actually increase the overall crop yield.

Just a couple of points, there have been die-offs in the past. The earliest was recorded in the 1800's. However, none have approached the current level of die-offs, some beekeepers are reporting 90% losses, but the average seems to be around 50%. The have been two recent die-offs at this scale, one in France and one here. The one in France was linked to a pesticide that screwed up insect navigation systems. The one in the US is the varroa mite, something that is still responsible for 10% yearly die-offs for the last ten years.

The cell-phone theory has been widely disproven. The original researchers actually disproved the theory, but the media rarely reads past the title of a research project to get to the conclusion. Poor researchers are now getting heat for something they did right the first time.

All signs do seem to point to some type of pathogen, the honey in hives will remain untouched by marauders and no new hives will form until it is irradiated.

Good stuff! Thanks for posting that!

I found this on wasps.

Adult paper wasps either drink nectar or catch caterpillars and drink the caterpillar's blood, or hemolymph. Then the adult wasp flies back to the nest and regurgitates (throws up) the nectar or blood into the mouths of young (larval) wasps or other adult wasps. After the young wasps are full, they produce a saliva (or spit) which is fifty times more nutritious than nectar. The adult wasps drink this saliva from the mouths of the young wasps.

All in all wasps really don't do anything. As for drinking the nectar they might come in contact with the flowers long enough to pollinate them. Who knows.

I hate hornets and wasps. They sting you just because they think you look at them funny. I like that bees have to fully commit to sting you. They sting you, they die. With hornets and wasps, it's more of a thrill for them. Now I'm not saying I genetically engineered a virus that was supposed to wipe out hornets and wasps and leave honey bees alone, but... oops I've said too much already.:D

I've got a bunch of hornets or wasps or something that are nesting in the ground on my lawn. They just showed up late last summer, I'm assuming they're still there. What's the best way to kill those mo'fo's?

the_bird said:
I've got a bunch of hornets or wasps or something that are nesting in the ground on my lawn. They just showed up late last summer, I'm assuming they're still there. What's the best way to kill those mo'fo's?
Moles traps would be overkill...:drunk: ...and stepping on them barefooted has not been proven to be successful either...:drunk: :drunk: ...ever try flooding?:confused:

the_bird said:

I've had great success with the Raid wasp spray. It kills them very quickly and you can stand 12 feet away and avoid their wrath.

homebrewer_99 said:
Moles traps would be overkill...:drunk: ...and stepping on them barefooted has not been proven to be successful either...:drunk: ...ever try flooding?:confused:

It's on a hill, probably a 30°-45° angle, so flooding's not an option.

I'm not even sure where exactly their nest is. I just noticed when I was mowing the lawn that the grass felt VERY soggy, next thing I know, about three dozen wasps are stinging me and chasing me into the house...

Is there some kind of poison I can put into the ground? If I didn't live in town, I'd just set the damn hill on fire ;)

My big problem is yellow jackets & I use sex traps. The freak'n big, black bees just dive bomb you when you are near their holes, so no problem there.

Mainly hops & grain around here and beeves: long horns, buffalo, white face, Angus.

I'm getting hungry!

Back