First time wine making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptZav

Reaction score
Hey guys, my friend works at a berry patch and said he could get me 30lbs of strawberries for free. I have heard of people making strawberry wine, can anyone help me out with the recipe and the process? I have 2 plastic fermenting buckets and a bottling bucket, do I have to have a glass carboy for this? All assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jack Keller's website should have strawberry recipes. I'm gearing up to do a second batch here, and I have my eye on this recipe - http://ancientfirewineblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/award-winning-strawberry-wine.html

You will start the batch off in the plastic fermenting buckets, but when the SG hits 1.030, you should really be moving it to glass. That could be as quick as 3 days, or as slow as 14, but it would probably be 7-10 days.

Do you need me/us to go into more detail?

Can I do it without a glass carboy? and just transfer into another plastic bucket?

Can I do it without a glass carboy? and just transfer into another plastic bucket?

Plastic will allow O2 exposure. Use a carboy to ensure you do not oxidize you wine. Strawberry Wine will turn a weird brownish color when oxidized.

Jack Kellars site is an excellant resource for new wine makers.

Good Luck.

Salute! :mug:

Back