L'Shana Tova Cyser "Gadol"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
I just primaried my first cyser - it's called L'Shana Tova (Hebrew for "To a Good Year!"), based on the tradition of eating apples and honey on Rosh Hashana (the jewish new year). The "Gadol" means great, or big, and is so appelated because the O.G. was around 17% abv (I think 1.130...)

Here's the recipe:

All of my juice came from Trader Joe's - you can get yours wherever, but TJ's has no preservatives, etc, and it's unfiltered.

3 gals unfiltered apple juice
.75 gals Gravenstein apple juice (pleasantly tart!)
.5 gals spicy apple cider (to lend a little bit to the nose of the finished product)

10 lbs unpasteurized Clover Honey - heated with juice enough to dissolve, but not pasteurized. (the Compleat Meadmaker author does not heat his... I'm trusting him).

1 lb Brown Sugar

2 tsps yeast energizer
1 tsp yeast nutrient

I forget the exact yeast, but it was a White Wine yeast. I think a Lalvin? It was dry, in a packet. I used 2 packets.

Water up to 5 gals

I hope it comes out nicely! I plan to back-sweeten with lactose before bottle-carbing. We'll drink it next Rosh Hashana! (And maybe secular New Year too- why not?)

Latest posts

Back