How far in advance do you make starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dassy

Reaction score
I have read about people who do this a day ahead, to 1-3 days to a week.
I am curious on what you do and why you do it in your time frame.

I tend to make mine 1 day to a week ahead depending on the type of brew and if I have the time ahead to make it a few days before hand. Lagers tend to need stepping up so I will always make those a week or so ahead.

Depending on the size either the night before or 3 days before brewing, but I have made them as many as 5 days before brewday.

I make 1L starters the night before since I pitch them at high krausen. This uses the peak of activity to your advantage and creates a fast start. Since the starter is so small, pitching the entire volume only dilutes a 5gal. batch by 5%.

For larger starters, I start them 3 days in advance to allow the yeast population to fully grow and completely ferment the starter wort. This leaves enough time for fermentation and a day of chilling in the fridge to promote flocculation. On the morning of brewday, I take the starter from the fridge and carefully decant the wort from off the yeast bed. I then let the slurry sit out and warm up so it's ready for pitching when needed.

I plan on 24 hours on the stirplate. I also plan on at least 8 hours in the fridge to cold crash it so that I can decant more liquid and pitch a more concentrated slurry. So, if I'm brewing on Saturday, I make my starter Thursday evening.

I want at least 3 days as my starters tend to go for a while. That gives me 2 days for the yeast to grow and 1 day to crash cool and decant on brewday.

I want at least 3 days as my starters tend to go for a while. That gives me 2 days for the yeast to grow and 1 day to crash cool and decant on brewday.

No stirplate??

I've found that a stirplate is a huge asset for making starters. Well worth the cost of either buying one, or making one.

Depends on the time of year and what I'm starting with.
In spring, summer and fall, and starting with a smack pack or vial that is reasonably current, I make the starter (using a stir plate) about 18 hours before pitching.
In winter (with colder temperatures), I do it 24 - 40 hours before pitching.
If I'm starting with a vial or smack pack of old yeast (again using a stir plate), I add an extra 24 hours.
20 - 30 years ago, when I didn't have a stir plate and used to culture yeast from a single bottle with several step ups, it would take me up to 3 weeks to build up the starter.

-a.

Latest posts

Back