Imperial IPA yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzyeric

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I brewed an Imperial IPA from Williams brewing out here in San Leandro, CA. Used the ol' Wyeast Activator and it seemed to really be good stuff, signs of life right away. I got kind of spooked by the OG though. Reading approx. 1.095. The instructions say that FG needs to be below 1.042 which would be approx 6.5% acv - and would need to be approx. 1.032 to meet advertised 8.5%. This 1.042 seemed incredibly high to me. Is it due to the massive amount of extract/unfermentable sugars? Is it to even the flavor out? or is there a good chance it could make it down to 1.011 and turn out to be 11%?

Second question

Is the one packet of Ringwood Ale Activator enough for this high OG? here are the specs from wyeast....

YEAST STRAIN: 1187 | Ringwood Ale
Origin:
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 68-72%
Temperature Range: 64-74F, 18-23C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

I wouldn't expect one packet to be enough. I think they have their disclaimer in the directions. Good for 5 gal of wort at 1.060. You should be fine if you just throw another packet in there. As for the fermentability of the wort, it depends. Liquid extract is something like 75% fermentable sugars but it can vary depending on what the company uses to product their extract. !.042 sounds really high to me and looking back at my imperials they've all finished in the high teens or low 20's. For what it's worth, I don't want to give you false hope or scare you but if that were my beer without adding more yeast I'd expect a stuck fermentation. But if 70% is average attenuation for that yeast you're looking at finishing in the high 20'S. Next time I'd make a yeast starter.

how can you tell the difference between unfermentables or a stuck fermentation? or is it a guessing game. also, is it appropriate to let the current yeast run its course, then if fermentation sticks, then add yeast? or pitch more yeast right now?

I'd have done at least a 2L starter (+ stirplate) with that big of a beer. But what's done is done. At this point you might consider throwing a pack of dry yeast in there to finish it out.

The problem remains as thus - if it attenuates to 1.011 or even close to that, it'll be upwards of 10%. Advertised is 8.5% @ 1.030. I honestly dont want a beer anywhere near the 10-11% of full attenuation. The reviews on their website said it came out fairly sweet but well rounded altogether. I will see what happens.

Side note - Checked it when i got home from work - its fermenting like crazy. For the 4 hours ive been home its been about 2 bubbles a second.

Also, another question... i know you guys preach about starters. I've never done one... but doesnt a starter just culture more yeast cells? wouldnt this be done anyways inside the bucket of wort? won't the yeast eat and multiply... or just faster with a starter? ive never been clear on that.....

If it still tasted like sugar water I'd say you've got a problem. If it only gets to 1.060 or that neighborhood those would be indicators of incomplete fermentation. It's hard to describe unfermentables is an extract brewing because you don't know what the malt company put in there. There's no way of knowing. You probably won't get this beer into the 1.011 range but I've never added yeast twice. Yeast starters are beneficial because they decrease lag time (time between pitching and fermentation) because of a larger colony but my superstition is that the larger colony provided by the yeast starter decreases the amount of my wort they need to consume during the first part of their life cycle. Theoretically, they make more ethyl alcohol and less yeast is another way to put it I guess. But also, the yeast gets going faster and you have to worry less about something else getting in there because the yeast has taken hold.

From my experiences with starters,they can "wake up" a dry yeast,& get'em multiplying. They seem to be in a hyperactive state at that point. So when you pitch them into your wort,they take off faster & more vigorously.
Less lag time,& I even think the ferment can go a bit faster sometimes. But it does seem to make for a cleaner beer,ime.

The problem remains as thus - if it attenuates to 1.011 or even close to that, it'll be upwards of 10%. Advertised is 8.5% @ 1.030. I honestly dont want a beer anywhere near the 10-11% of full attenuation. The reviews on their website said it came out fairly sweet but well rounded altogether. I will see what happens.

Personally I don't like them sweet. The drier the better. I've not done a 1.090 recently. but would be looking for mid to high teens as an FG. I like my 1.070s to end in the single digits.

Side note - Checked it when i got home from work - its fermenting like crazy. For the 4 hours ive been home its been about 2 bubbles a second.

Also, another question... i know you guys preach about starters. I've never done one... but doesnt a starter just culture more yeast cells? wouldnt this be done anyways inside the bucket of wort? won't the yeast eat and multiply... or just faster with a starter? ive never been clear on that.....

1) A starter tells you the yeast is viable.
2) With a starter and the 'correct' amount of yeast cells you don't have to wait several days for decent activity.
3) With the 'correct' amount of yeast cells the yeast can out-pace any contamination.
4) Yeast will only effectively reproduce depending on the O2 and the nutrients; once consumed, you end up with too little yeast doing too much work = stressed yeast.
5) Low pitch rates = stressed yeast = possible high FG.
6) Low pitch rates can increase yeast esters (sometimes good .... sometimes bad).
7) Low pitch rates can increase fusel alcohols (always bad).

Latest posts

Back