Opinions on my Belgian Blond-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxHelderxx

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Here's a recipe that I basically tweaked from SWMBO Slayer

7# Belg Pils
3.5# Wheat malt
.4# Caravienne
.5# C10
.5# Turbinado

1.25 oz Williamette 5.5% 60 minute

WLP500 Fermented 69ish

OG 1.066
FG 1.010

5 SRM
22 IBU

7.1% ABV

What do you think? I'm also considering adding Indian Coriander but am not sure how that would play in this beer. It's already got sweetness in it from the C10/CaraVienne/Wheat which I was hoping to cut back a little bit by adding some sugar and upping the IBUs to the 22 IBU mark. This beer was originally designed in the teens for IBUs.

I know its not a textbook belgian because of the high amount of wheat but I really love the mouthfeel the wheat contributes and I want it to be a smooth sipper for the summer. I'm hoping the trappist yeast will give me some good spicy/fruity esters but want to keep it just below 70 to avoid any crazy banana character which I know this yeast can produce if fermented too hot.

Note- I am locked into using WLP500 because thats what I am currently trying to master. I have it on hand all the time and have been pleased with it so far. I think manipulating the temperature of this yeast strain makes it really versatile.

Do you think this beer will be too sweet? I added in the C10/Caravienne to give it some nice malty presence because I know the WLP500 will take it down far (perhaps even further than 1.010) and didn't want to dry it out too much.

The last part of this is really just to understand how the indian coriander will play in this malt bill. I dont want to add much, was thinking about .15oz at flameout just for an extra *hint* of spice. I know usually the additions of coriander are in the .20-.25oz range but I've read that indian coriander is more potent and don't want it to dominate this beer.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Looks solid to me, although I'd say it was too much crystal for my taste in the style (but it isn't excessive). Upping the hops and keeping the ferm temp down are good ideas as well, especially with the added sweetness from the grain bill.

A subtle addition of coriander could enhance the beer, but instead of adding it to the boil you could make a tea and add it to taste at bottling (that way you have more control over the level).

Good luck.

Back