Piloncillo Preparation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is a solid cone type sugar that goes into the boil in the beginning after the mash, how do you prepare it? chuck the whole thing in, cut it into pieces? Thanks.

It's just sugar so it should just dissolve in the boil, so just throw the whole thing in.

Id break it up a little. I dont know how tightly packed it is, so i wouldnt want it sitting on the bottom of the pot burning. Break it up so it dissolves quicker. Just my opinion.

Id break it up a little. I dont know how tightly packed it is, so i wouldnt want it sitting on the bottom of the pot burning. Break it up so it dissolves quicker. Just my opinion.
it might be too hard to break.

Just drop it in. I've used the same stuff and it dissolves very fast.

i just cut it up with a butter knife, figured it would dissolve quicker/easier that way. Thanks for the advice.

Did you taste any of it? Jaggery is really buttery and minerally, I was using it at the November big brew day, and letting people taste it. Really different than the processed white sugars we're used to. A lot of complexity.

Molasses, in higher concentions, can contribute a rum like alcohol heat. It is pretty nice in a RIS or Baltic Porter.

I'm hoping the rest of the malt and hops will balance it all out. I'm very curious to try the finished product and will let you know how it is. Wasn't that cheap to make, so hope it is decent.

I am brewing a brown ale this saturday that I plan on turning into a Christmas ale. I want to use piloncillo in the boil, I've never used it before. Any advice from previous experience on how much to add to a 10 gallon batch? I'm assuming its personal taste really, but just want to know what kind of results people that have used it may have had. Also, the beginning of the boil would be the proper time to add it right?

I used 2lbs of it in a 10 gal batch. I put it in the beginning of the boil but if i was to do it again i would put it in at flame out and make sure it dissolves, I think you'll get the most out of it that way.

I used 2lbs of it in a 10 gal batch. I put it in the beginning of the boil but if i was to do it again i would put it in at flame out and make sure it dissolves, I think you'll get the most out of it that way.

I was worried that you put in 2 lbs in a 5 gallon batch! :) 1 lb added A LOT of flavor to a brown ale kit from Austin Homebrew. It was a great flavor though, almost cinnamon/nutmeg flavor, but a little spicier. Did you find it at a store anywhere? I'd love to add it to another beer in the future!

D_Nyholm said:
I was worried that you put in 2 lbs in a 5 gallon batch! :) 1 lb added A LOT of flavor to a brown ale kit from Austin Homebrew. It was a great flavor though, almost cinnamon/nutmeg flavor, but a little spicier. Did you find it at a store anywhere? I'd love to add it to another beer in the future!

Yeah, I found it at a local Mexican grocery. You can try other ethnic stores if you don't have access to those.

Back