Oktoberfest bier help (need recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianMac

Reaction score
I've committed to throwing an Oktoberfest party this year and I need to brew up a batch of liquid love German style.
I've read a bunch on the forums here and there and cannot decide.
What I like, I like beer on the dryer side, with a malt back but not sweet, I'm thinking that this beer to be of style and on the dryer side would be maybe a 152/3 sac rest and that's where I get stuck.

I want to fill giant steins with golden/amber 5/6 ABV goodness and party like the wall is coming down.

Okay gang, help me out, what am I going to brew???

BMac

It's very late now to be brewing for an Oktoberfest party (traditionally towards the end of September). You might need to consider and Oktoberfest 'ale' (eg. oktoberfast from the recipes section). You could do a proper lager, but it wouldn't get the long lagering period. FWIW, I really like KingBrian1's 'world's best oktoberfest', but with a 30min rest at 60C and a 30min rest at 70C (helps dry it out a bit....not as true to style but I prefer it).

Youll be fine on time if you brew soon and pitch enough yeast. You may want to consider a Fest style beer like they serve at the Tents at the festival. You should be able to find some info in the recipes section.

I've previously done long lagering but got into kegging last year. I tapped a german pilsner that was fermented two weeks then first drank at two weeks in keg. Beer was crystal clear and tasted delicious. There's enough time for a great lager. (note - 90 seconds pure 02 and pitched big and cold, no gelatin).

thanks everyone, I'm searching for recipes now. Many to choose from.

Question, is a FEST type beer lighter in color/body and drier beer?

Yes. It's a style of it's own in the BJCP2015 guidelines (wasn't there previously). OG1.054-1.057, FG1.010-1.012. It is mostly pils malt with a bit of vienna and/or munich, representing what is mostly consumed at Oktoberfest nowadays (kind of in between a helles and a o'fest). An easier drinking beer that, IMO, doesn't look anywhere near as nice as an Oktoberfest.

I've done BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale a couple of times. Probably your best bet for time. With kegging you should be able to go Grain to Glass in 2-3 weeks.

Yooper has a really good O'fest recipe. I've brewed it as-is and modified and it always comes out great. Check Brulosopher's fast lagering method to speed up your timeline while still sticking with a lager.

Yea fest beer is just a higher abv helles. The Marzen you get from American breweries are not what German Brewers make. German ones are less malty and more chug able.

It's very late now to be brewing for an Oktoberfest party (traditionally towards the end of September). You might need to consider and Oktoberfest 'ale' (eg. oktoberfast from the recipes section). You could do a proper lager, but it wouldn't get the long lagering period. FWIW, I really like KingBrian1's 'world's best oktoberfest', but with a 30min rest at 60C and a 30min rest at 70C (helps dry it out a bit....not as true to style but I prefer it).

Urban Chestnut Brewing Company just posted today on Facebook that they're brewing their first batch of Oktoberfest for the year. It will be released 9/25.

Thanks everyone, I am going to do a 12 gallon batch of Oktoberfest Ale. If I'm going to something I want to do it justice and rushing a lager because of my poor planning is unacceptable.
Good beer is good beer!

Back