Flameout hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I added some pelletized Stygian Goldings hops to my stout at flameout, and when I added the cooled wort to the primary forty minutes later there were still at least five pellets in the bottom of the kettle, more or less in-tact.

Should I have crushed them? The posts I have seen here all seem to advocate leaving them whole.

I've read that when you use flame out hops, you should actually let them steep for a while before chilling your wort. Otherwise they don't really add much.

Meh. Maybe I'll boil a cup of water and dissolve some new styrian in it, then cool and add to the wort at bottling time or something. Strain through a coffee filter, perhaps.

If you let them steep I recall hearing that some of the aroma will escape with the steam?

Add flameout hops after the steam has mostly subsided - which is around 200degs or so. Let them steep for a bit - maybe 15 minutes or more while you are getting your tubing/connections/cooler ready.

Yeah, see - this time I decided I'd prevent the mistakes I made last time and had everything ready ahead of time. Whoops. This is why we can't have nice things!

I'm going to sample the wort in three weeks before deciding to bottle or wait longer. If I feel like it isn't hoppy enough I'll make some hop tea to feed my beer. If not, I'll skip it. Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

Latest posts

Back