amount of sparge water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty

Reaction score
If the initial infusion will lose .5l of water per pound of mash than am i correct to assume that if my first runnings equal 3 gallons and i want 5.75 gallons total my final sparge will be with 2.75 gallons? Looking to do my first all grain batch this weekend and wasnt 100% sure. Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris

If the initial infusion will lose .5l of water per pound of mash than am i correct to assume that if my first runnings equal 3 gallons and i want 5.75 gallons total my final sparge will be with 2.75 gallons? Looking to do my first all grain batch this weekend and wasnt 100% sure. Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris

.5 qt. is a good starting point for figuring grain absorption, but you also need to consider dead space in your MLT to determine the volume of your first runnings. Once you have worked this out, since the grain will have already absorbed all it can, whatever you add subsequently for sparging, will be what you get out.

Also, you don't mention whether you want 5.75 gallons pre-boil, or post-boil.
Try posting the amount of grain you will be mashing, the volume of your MLT dead space, how long you plan on boiling for, how much you want to put into the fermenter and what you're planning on leaving in the boil kettle as far as sediment is concerned. More detail into the post will get you more detail in the responses.

Bob

Yes, no sparge water will be absorbed by the grain since it is already saturated.

Pkeeler

Thanks thats what i figured just wanted to know from some one whose done it before.

Thanks Bob

By dead space you mean the water that wont drain from the tun? Than 1.5 cups. Mashing 11lbs of grain. 70 min boil. Hoping to end up with 5 gal +/- a quart and bottle 4.75

And i meant quart not liter sorry.

Rock Chalk 2011 Big 12 Champs

Chris

Back