First Brew Ok, but getting kicked outdoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampska

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I cooked up my first batch of home brew yesterday and everything went smoothly with no major issues with the brewing process. It's a Red Ale from Seven Bridges Organic Brewing and when I checked it after about six hours, it was bubbling away.

There is one issue though. My wife had really rough pregnancies (in laymens' terms, it's 24 hours x 9 months of morning sickness) and during her first pregnancy she owned a store in the same building as a brew pub. Needless to say, the smell brought back some not so fond memories.

So it looks like I'll be getting kicked out of the house which is fine as it took 45 minutes to get the water boiling on our lil' old stove and a propane burner will be much quicker. I was wondering if there are any extra sanitation issues to worry about with working outside.

Thanks,
Andy

If you have a lot of bugs & leaves blowing aound, get a piece of window screen to cover your kettle during the boil. I've done all of my brewing, more or less, outdoors. Anything that has boiled for five minutes or longer is sterile.

getting kicked out doors w00t!

ok now you'll need a brew shed

BREWSTAND_037.jpg

and then you'll need a brew stand with grain hopper

grain_hopper_001.jpg

and then you'll need.................... :drunk:

abarilla said:
Aw heck, maybe I can just convince the wife to let me buy the house behind us and put one of these babies in it:

Sure for only 48k

Actually, theres talk of one of those coming to our town soon though

The only thing that I have noticed since I started brewing outside is that a good clean table would be a HUGE plus!! Having a nice clean spot to put the spoon, thermometer, hops, beer glass and wort chiller is the main concern I would have.

I do all mine right inside the garage door since it has rained almost every time I have brewed... I still do my lauter/sparge indoors since I don't have a rack outside. If you are doing AG brewing you will need a stack or something to hold the sparge tank, lauter tun in steps..
I put the sparge tank on top of the fridge, lauter tun on the counter and the brewpot on the floor.. This does stink up the house though not as bad as the boil would.

Brew-boy said:
Damn, Brewhead you into it or what? Can I bed down in that house...lol

into beer? into brewing? what kind of insane question is that :)

but yes i am into it - plus where i work i have access to a fully outfitted sheet metal shop, welders, plasma tables etc so yea I'm lucky in that these resources are available and i can let my wild imagination wander

Back