1-2-3 Method variation question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovetheHops

Reaction score
What are the pitfalls of shortening the time to bottling after fermentation is complete after 7-10 days. Baically what will happen if i just go straight to bottle after 7-14 days.

Right now I have a beer I am planning on doing 2 weeks primary and then bottle for 3 weeks. This particular beer is an extract with steeped grains. OG about 1.055.

Insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What are the pitfalls of shortening the time to bottling after fermentation is complete after 7-10 days. Baically what will happen if i just go straight to bottle after 7-14 days.

Right now I have a beer I am planning on doing 2 weeks primary and then bottle for 3 weeks. This particular beer is an extract with steeped grains. OG about 1.055.

Insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

After you think primary fermentation is complete, take a gravity reading. If it hasn't changed a few days later, you should be good.

you're going to have to age it no matter what, whether it's in the bottles or the fermenter, so don't rush it

there are certain styles (milds, hefeweizens, etc.) that can be brewed fast but as a general rule, don't rush it. leave it in primary at least two weeks if you are going straight to bottle.

Yeah, technically you could bottle as soon as it's finished but in the long run it will probably be longer before it becomes drinkable (good at least). the beer really benefits from staying on the yeast for at least a few days after it's finished fermenting, and it still needs the aging time whether in bottles or in secondary.

You can get away with a bit shorter aging on lighter gravity beers; I did a batch of BM's Centennial Blonde (OG 1.043) and it was drinkable and good in 5 weeks (including bottle conditioning).

Back