Lautering speed control on a single tier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outside92129

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If the stars align this weekend i'll have the last bit of welding completed and the household's new single tier up and running. I've designed the system like so many others have, but have a quick question about using it- the lautering speed with a pump (vs gravity). Is lautering (and recirculating) speed controlled by the valve on the pump output? I'm assuming that turning on the pump with the valve(s) fully open would contribute to a stuck mash.

*household's tier vs my tier. So i can spread the blame for having it : )

thanks in advance!

-ls

If the stars align this weekend i'll have the last bit of welding completed and the household's new single tier up and running. I've designed the system like so many others have, but have a quick question about using it- the lautering speed with a pump (vs gravity). Is lautering (and recirculating) speed controlled by the valve on the pump output? I'm assuming that turning on the pump with the valve(s) fully open would contribute to a stuck mash.

*household's tier vs my tier. So i can spread the blame for having it : )

thanks in advance!

-ls

If you're using a pump, it's the outlet valve the controls the flow as you don't want to restrict flow going into the pump.

You want to start slow, and then gradually open it up.

If you don't already, malt conditioning will help eliminate compacted grain beds. It comes out light and fluffy, and stays that way throughout the mash.

_

If you're using a pump, it's the outlet valve the controls the flow as you don't want to restrict flow going into the pump.

From experience, I agree with this 100%.

If you are using a pump for the recirc or the lauter, you need to treat the output valve on the MLT, the inlet valve on the pump (if you have one), and the outlet valve on the pump like one big ball valve. Like Yooper said, keep everything wide open except the output valve on the pump. Wort will only exit the tun as fast as you allow it be pushed through by the pump.

As much of a PITA as it can be to get the march pumps primed, the ability to throttle is well worth it.

I took my system one step further, and put an additional ball valve at the top of my mash tun to facilitate recirculation. So in my case, even the output valve on the pump is wide open, and I throttle at the entry point into the tun. I like that set up because it lets me make flow rate adjustments at eye level, rather then bouncing back and forth to the pump itself to balance the system. It is an extra valve, but the principle is the same.

Joe

Latest posts

Back