Fermented to soon Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loomis02

Reaction score
Did my beer ferment in 3 days or did i do something wrong. to start off this is my first time brewing, and i brewed with all grain, this is what i have.

10 lbs briess 2-row
1 lb briess caramel 60L
mashed at 153
hops
.5 oz perle at 60
.5 oz cascades at 30
1 oz cascades at 10
1 oz cascades at 0
wyeast 1056 with a starter
mashed at 153 for 1 hour

forgot to take a pre-boil hydrometer reading my after boil was 1.051 cooled
pitched yeast and put away to ferment at 72 to 73 degrees
the air lock started to bubble that night and was active for 3 days then stoped i was hoping to do a secondary ferment to clear it up but now it stoped, I checked the hydo reading and it said 1.008:eek: i'm guessing it's done
but what do i do now?

Take another reading in a few days. If it is still at 1.008 primary fermentation is most likely done. I would leave it in the primary for at LEAST another 3 weeks though to help it further condition. Fermenting with an ambient temp of 72-73 degrees probably means your wort was actually fermenting in the high 70's. At that high of a temp it could have very easily fermented out in 3 days.

RBWHAHB. It's all going exactly as planned. Just becuase the fermentation lock isn't bubbling away doesn't mean the yeast is done doing it work. It's common for active/heavy fermentation on ales to run through in a few days, especailly at that temp. Even in secondary when it looks like nothing is happing, indeed it IS. The yeast will continue to clean up the beer. It should get clearer as the sediment drops out.

Good luck!

ALan

Brewing with good fresh ale yeast and a starter, your primary fermentation should only take 2 to 3 days for a 1.051 beer.

I would love to hear someone actually substantiate that information Brandonovich. perhap 5-7 days assuming 5 gallons but never 2-3.

Thanks for the reply, so don't do a secondary just leave in the primary. after 3 weeks with no fermentation going on i guess i'll still have enough yeast active when i bottle to
carbonate?

Yes, loomis. You'll definitely have enough yeast to carbonate, just don't forget your priming sugar.

Did my beer ferment in 3 days or did i do something wrong. to start off this is my first time brewing, and i brewed with all grain, this is what i have.

10 lbs briess 2-row
1 lb briess caramel 60L
mashed at 153
hops
.5 oz perle at 60
.5 oz cascades at 30
1 oz cascades at 10
1 oz cascades at 0
wyeast 1056 with a starter
mashed at 153 for 1 hour

forgot to take a pre-boil hydrometer reading my after boil was 1.051 cooled
pitched yeast and put away to ferment at 72 to 73 degrees
the air lock started to bubble that night and was active for 3 days then stoped i was hoping to do a secondary ferment to clear it up but now it stoped, I checked the hydo reading and it said 1.008:eek: i'm guessing it's done
but what do i do now?

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read:
1) Take another reading tomorrow to see if it has reached target gravity.
2) Let it sit in primary for at least a week even if SG level remains the same.

As an aside, do you mind me asking where the recipe is from? I just did an similar All Grain, but with a bit more 2 row and .5 oz Magnum (60 minutes) (with the Perle @ 30 minutes) to do a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. (Mine's still fermenting, now at 48 hours @ 65 degrees F.)

I would love to hear someone actually substantiate that information Brandonovich. perhap 5-7 days assuming 5 gallons but never 2-3.

Sure - and while I can't substantiate with hard numerical data, (this is anecdotal, obviously, so I apologize) but using a fresh, healthy starter of the correct cell amount (~1 million cells/ 1 ml wort/ 1 degree Plato) and ale yeasts should ferment out quick. For my system and methods, WY1968 is a fantastic example of a 48 hour yeast (which I normally run at 68 degrees wort temperature). You'll find this behavior with several highly flocculent English strains. 1728 is another one, but I only have limited experience with this one so far, so I reserve my personal conclusions on it until I've run more batches with it.

You fermented a little warm for that strain of yeast (wyeast reccomends 60-72*F), but I doubt that will cause much of an issue. What temp did you mash at, and for how long?

If it was me, I'd let it sit on the yeast cake for 2 weeks anyway to let the yeast clean up a bit, and drop to the bottom. Then bottle.

The current issue of Brew Your Own talks about this. Someone wrote in a very similar question and he goes into detail answering it.

I believe it's the same recipe, it is a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone i just changed the hops out a bit since it was my first time and will have some friends trying it thats not into hoppy beers. but it did have (.5 oz of magnum at 60) i just took that out and put the perles in its place to try and get the ibu's around 28 instead of 37. I did some research online for a SNPA clone and found this one don't remember what site i went thru so many. the only reason i fermented at that temp. is because i'm not set up with a temp controled cooler yet

What's your username on that forum, i'll post on there so we can keep this conversation going without killing the OP's thread.

Same here. I joined the forum quite a bit ago but i never really got into the membership.

In the meantime, check out your mash tun. The only beers I've made that have gotten down around 1.008 have been mashed way below 153. You might be losing a few degrees over an hour.

Its really an ideal situation, I would be looking for ways to duplicate it. The sooner all that sugar is turned into alcohol the less chance of anything else having a chance to grow in your beer. I don't think your mash temp will make much of a difference. If you were to mash higher there would be even less fermentable sugar and it would probably finish even faster.

Thanks again for all the replys, Again it was my first time brewing, I tried to fly sparge but i think i did it to fast, i did collect 6 gal. of wort. but next time after reading more i will either batch sparge or try fly sparging again but slower. the only thing i'm trying to
decide right now is to keep it in the primary for the duration or rack into a my carboy after one week to help clear it up, being that it's already done fermenting?

Back