Brewhouse American Premium Lager Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just picked up a Brewhouse American Premium Lager Kit, and was wondering about following directions from the kit. I have read in here that the directions are basically useless, so i was wondering what i should follow. I know the coopers yeast package is not very good, but i dont have access to Wyeast in my area. What would i get if i only put in 6 liters of water instead of the full 8, as recommended by the instructions? Also, how long should i let it sit in the primary fermenter, it is a 10 gal plastic bucket with loose fitting lid, no airlock. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help
Barney:mug:

You would get 2 liters more beer.

Also, your OG will be lower as would your hop utilization... So it would be dryer and less bitter.

He's going the other way...less water, not more.

Whoever told you that a newbie brewer shouldn't follow the directions is an idiot. Someone may have stated that the directions that come with most kits are hard to understand, but NO ONE would argue that you should not follow the stated recipie of your beer. The instructions are not useless, follow them!

Did you already brew with less water, and want to know what is going to happen, or is this a hypothetical?

The ingredients in the kits are measured to the amount of water specified. Using less water is going to throw lots of things out of balance. The instructions are a recipie. If you want to use 25% less water, you need to use 25% less of pretty much everything else, which may be difficult.

Do you not have a kettle that will hold 8 liters? Making 8 liters of beer takes pretty much the same amount of time, and in this case, less effort than splitting the recipie down to 6 liters. Plus, you end up with MORE BEER!

Latest posts

Back