First Lager Attempt - Advice On Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad_C

Reaction score
I am going to try to take advantage of the colder weather to attempt a Lager in my garage. I think I can keep a relative stable fermentation temperature in there, and lager in my kegerator for a few months. This is the recipe that I have planned:

Partial Mash: 5 Gal
OG: 1045
FG: 1014
IBU: 15.3
ABV: 14.3
SRM: 3.5

Briess Pilsner 3 lbs, 8 oz
Briess Flaked Corn 2 lbs, 8 oz
Briess Pilsen (Extra) Light Dry Extract 1 lbs, 0 oz
Rice Syrup Solids 1 lbs, 0 oz
Hallertau Pellets .75 oz @ 60 mins
Hallertau Pellets .5 oz @ 15 mins
SAFLAGER S-23

I am using Hallertau, because that is what I have on hand. I also have some Northern Brewer on hand if that makes it any better?

How does this look? Are there any changes I should make? I am kinda worried about the amount of corn, but I am trying to keep it on the lighter side. Any suggestion on mash temp would also help.

If I am way off base here, let me know that too! Thanks in advance! :rockin:

What sort of lager are you trying to make? Currently ~45% of your fermentables are from rice/corn. Unless you are going for a macro type lager (and really even if you are), I'd cut that down. If that is what you are going for I'd swap out at least 1 lb of the corn for more pils and mash ~148 for 90 minutes (you are pushing the enzymatic limits of the pils).

Yeah, I am trying to do sort of a Macro style lager, although I figure that it won't taste quite as clean. I am shooting for more of a crisp light lawnmower lager cleaner the better. I don't mind cutting the corn out as much as possible, just shooting for something more on the dry/light side.

Briess Pilsner 4 lbs, 8 oz
Briess Flaked Corn 1 lbs, 0 oz
SAFLAGER S-23

That brings the following:
OG 1043
FG 1011
ABV 4.2
SRM 3.25

EDIT:
After a little more research on some recipes I came up with the following:
Briess Pilsner 3 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2-Row 2 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Vienna 0 lbs, 8 oz
SAFLAGER S-23

Mash @ 148 - 150 for 90 mins.

OG 1047
FG 1012
ABV 4.6
SRM 3.6

I am just starting to put together recipes, so I could still be way off here.

That sounds much better to me. Just make sure you have a good fermentation, use two packs of rehydrated yeast, pitch at your fermentation temp (aka don't pitch warm and chill), consider a diacetyl rest, lager for at least 4 weeks (6-8 would be better). Hope it turns out well!

Back