Mold avoidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
So after my first mold contaminated batch of dunkel, im curious as to if there are any easy ways to prevent the stuff? I read that damp conditions during fermentation can create mold, but I doubt a small, dark blanket closet is very damp. Humidifier?

Damp conditions would not effect it during fermentation or secondary. The airlock acts as a atmospheric barrier. So moisture outside the carboy would not effect it. Its all sanitation.

After loosing a batch to dirty racking hose I pay a lot more attention to sanitation.

I have been real lucky lately. I was using obviously moldy racking hose for about 4-5 batches and never had any of them infected! I was too much of a procrastinator to buy new hose so I would just sanitize the crap out of it and cross my fingers. I got to the point where I had to rig up 3 racking canes separated by 3 inches of hose each to do some transferring. After that, I finally bought some new tubing.

Here's to moldy tubing but no moldy beer! :mug:

All sanitation. Must have been a nasty chunk somewhere that didn't get cleaned before it was sanitized. I've stopped racking through the valves on brewing buckets, now I just use a cane.

Latest posts

Back