Should I use campden tablets for my kegged soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to make a batch of ginger ale with freshly grated ginger. My plan is to add the fresh ginger and water/sugar mixture to a carboy and let it sit for 2 days before racking the soda off of the ginger into a keg. Do you experienced soda brewers think I should use some campden tablets as well? Since I won't be boiling the ginger, I am not sure if it could potentially have bacteria or wild yeast that could cause problems. Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Could you soak the ginger in a small bit of vodka and then add the ginger and vodka to your steeping step? Of course this wouldn't work if you're shooting for 100% alcohol free but hopefully wouldn't add significant alcohol taste since you'd be looking at only a few ounces of vodka in 5 gallons of soda. Alternately, maybe you could microwave the ginger to sterilize it? Or boil it, keep it covered while it cools, and then add the ginger and boil water to your steeping step?

fosaisu said:
Could you soak the ginger in a small bit of vodka and then add the ginger and vodka to your steeping step? Of course this wouldn't work if you're shooting for 100% alcohol free but hopefully wouldn't add significant alcohol taste since you'd be looking at only a few ounces of vodka in 5 gallons of soda. Alternately, maybe you could microwave the ginger to sterilize it? Or boil it, keep it covered while it cools, and then add the ginger and boil water to your steeping step?

I was really shooting for a fresh ginger infusion, as I really prefer that taste. I ended up just adding campden tablets, which seems to have worked well after all!

Good deal, I'm sure it will turn out great! Just getting my own kegging system up and running so looking forward to trying some home-made sodas (I've made some alcoholic ginger beers which is why I weighed in with my two cents here).

Good deal, I'm sure it will turn out great! Just getting my own kegging system up and running so looking forward to trying some home-made sodas (I've made some alcoholic ginger beers which is why I weighed in with my two cents here).

Honestly, alcoholic ginger beer sounds fantastic. I would totally love to brew some sometime soon! For this batch, however, I really wanted just a nice, clean ginger ale that I can use for whiskey gingers (one of my favorite drinks :D). Thanks for the tip though, I will try it next time!

Latest posts

Back